In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder for .223/5.56

What is the best powder/primer combo to use for reloading .223/5.56,
that will be shot in Savage, Remington and AR rifles?

Comments

• gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put "223" in the search box...a ton of stuff will come up
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    light bullets or heavy ones?

Light I like AA2015. Medium, H4895 and heavy bullets I use Re-15.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Bullets lighter than 55gr: Benchmark
    Bullets heaver than 55gr: Varget

CCI BR-4's for everything
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like AA2015 or Xterminator for bullets 50-55 grains. Almost all 223 goes on my progressive now, so Ramshot X-Terminator gets the edge for me. On a single stage 2015 would have the edge, but only slightly.

Forgot to add, all mine go through AR's. I use CCI SR and Winchester SR primers. Been thinking of trying Tula/ Wolf though.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Each gun will have a favorite. I like BLC2 best. H335 a close second. From a Savage 12.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used both AA2230 and Ramshot Xterminator. Both are economical and produce good ammo. There are slower powders that will give slightly better performance with longer barrels and/or heavier bullets. I'm going that route with some ammo during my next loading session and use some slower powder for a couple of 24" bolt rifles.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was happy with W748 until I tried IMR 8208 XBR.

It works extremely well for me with heavier bullets (65gr and 69gr), but is really supposed to shine with the lighter bullets. I have not tried it with the lighter ones, so I'm just going from what I've read and heard.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D] I've had super accuracy with 52/55 gr Sierra Hps using AA2230c
    and thats with my Rem 700 BDL--

Now I'm looking for the sweet spot with my 22-250 WBY, using that powder-

[:o)][:o)] JIMBO
  • WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2230 & W748 are accurate in my .223 rifles. Twist is 1-12 and 1-10, so I don't shoot anything heavier than 55 gr. Varget was accurate, but slower in 55 gr. bullets.
  • tbatestbates Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to this site, but wanted to offer my response. I reload my .223s with Benchmark powder, Remington 7.5 Small Rifle Benchrest Primers with a 40 gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullet. I shoot a Remington 700 VSF which has a 26" fluted barrel. Prairie dogs don't stand a chance with this combination. I can shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards and have killed prairie dogs out to 275 yards, measured with a range finder. Hope this helps.
  • ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My New Lymans book says Varget is the best with 55grain bullets. It is listed with other heavier bullets.
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    748 in the AR platform gun (1 in 7)
    Just started using benchmark in the M77 and 700BDL in december It's on its way, just need a bit more fine tuning.