In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

do we underload the 30-06?

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
So, in looking at the load data in my reloading manuals, I noticed something interesting: the pressure on max loads on the 30-06 are well under 60,000psi or right at 60,000psi for all bullet weights and powders.

The 270 win. and 25-06 (both based on the 30-06 case) on the other hand have chamber pressures that run much higher: 62,000psi, even 63,000 and some just shy of 64.

So, being that gun manufacturers simply rechamber/barrel their actions between the 3 above mentioned calibers, it stands to reason that any rifle capable of withstanding 60,000+psi in either the 270 or 25-06 should be able to it withstand it in the '06, que non?

I bring this up because a friend of mine routinely "overloads" his 30-06 to match the higher pressures found in the 2 cousins of the '06 and gets concomitant increases in velocity with no adverse effects thus far.

What say ye?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I say.....you aren't going to run into an old milsurp in 270 or 25-06, or some vintage hunting rifle from 1920 that's been ridden hard and put away wet. And that SAAMI and modern ammo manufacturers probably recognize that and hence soft pedal the loads a LITTLE.

For something like a modern Remington 700, I'd not worry about overloading the 06 a little. In fact some companies make 'light magnums' to capitalize on this.

But as a practical matter, rarely do I find max end loads- to say nothing of over max- to be the most accurate load for a given powder/bullet combo. So it's academic really in most cases. Nor is the extra little performance going to matter. As loaded the 06 will still slap down anything on 4 legs if you do your part, why go one step beyond?
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it's just human nature to try to improve something and that's why there are all the cartridges (factory and wildcats) that have been developed over the years.

My only response would be that if you wanted to improve the velocity and energy in the 30-06, why not move up to one of the 300 magnums.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30/06 was designed as a battle cartridge subjected to extremes of temps and fired in all sorts of weapons in possibly not the best condition. A stuck case in your 25/06 might ruin a days hunting but a stuck case or head separation in your Garand in 1942 might have been deadly. The average shooter may not be a whiz at gun trivia nor may he have any idea that Grandpa's old Springfield is not perfectly capable of handling any ammo that says 3006 somewhere on the box. A similar situation exists with the 8x57 Mauser wherein the ammo is underloaded to prevent some unknowing shooter from blowing up his old 18?? rifle with ammo containing the wrong diameter bullet. I agree that if you need more than the standard 30/06 provides(especially with the hopped up factory loads) go ahead and step up to the 300 Win mag.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    60,000 PSI is enough when pushing the right bullet to kill any thing on this continent.

60,000 PSI is good enough for some rifles approaching 100 years old.

60,000 PSI is a good safe pressure that takes the variables of weather, dirt, heat and moisture into account and still operate safely.

Some things just don't need improved, the 22LR, 38sp, 30-06 and 45ACP come to mind, they work fine just as they are.

If they want more horsepower, get a 300 Win Mag. There is no need to push the envelope with any cartridge, just get one to fit the need.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess my first question is how are you measuring all this? If you work loads up that shoot best in your rifles why would you push it harder only to find accuracy isn't helped, but rather hindered.

I take the long range shooting approach to this. Which will mirror what most have said above. If I want more power to shoot longer ranges I'm going to need more accuracy. Right? I mean technically if a bullet/rifle/load combination will shoot 1.5" at 100 that would mean 7.5" at 500. So, I load little hotter to get that little extra oomph to get me the "required energy" I think I need to kill something at 500. Problem is, now the gun shoots 2.0" @ 100, which translates to 10" @ 500. If that's your 'kill zone' you just became very marginal. Not to mention those are perfect conditions. You're not taking a benchrest rifle up the mountain you're taking a hunting rifle. Any slip or undesirable condition you just went out of the kill zone.

Edit:

As long as you are staying within your rifle's accuracy limitations load it to that. If you need more oomph and want to maintain accuracy them move up to a bigger rifle. I'm not of the personal opinion that you specifically need to limit the 30-06 in a modern rifle when two other cases based specifically off of it are shooting 5k psi higher.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't routinely exceed the max loads in my rifles, at least not intentionally.

The question was more academic than anything. I have no need of anything bigger than what I have now (an '06 and a 7 Rem Mag) but was just wondering for wondering's sake, that's all.

But, as an intellectual retort to those advocating "calibering up" I say this: why caliber up if I can get similar performance out of a rifle I already have that is just underloaded?
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-06 is/was not really underloaded for the time it was designed. That was over 100 years ago. In comparison to more modern cartridges in modern rifles with using current advanced materials and processes, it may seem to be underloaded.

I'm sure the 30-06 can be pushed to much higher levels in modern rifles, however the manufacturers must abide with the 100+ year old SAAMI specs due to 100+ year old rifles still in use and the possible resulting liability.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guys have it spot on. SAAMI specs aren't established only for your rifle; they have to be safe for ALL rifles originally chambered for that round.

Rifles are not made of cheese; they do not get stronger with age.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    considering that the 300RUM is made to operate at 56K psi, I don't think the 30-06 is disadvantaged at 60K psi. The 300RUM rifles are modern, and many that use the 30-06 are 100yrs old, so you must keep that in mind.

If you wish to get to 65K psi IN A MODERN RIFLE, then load for it. HOWEVER, keep in mind that 60K psi is getting very close to top end loads. Much further, and you are venturing into dark waters. A sticky bolt lift means you are 10K psi past where you should have stopped in the first place.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    I have a 2 year old savage 110 in 30/06 that I load WAY hot...BUT I worked this load up slowly and dont recommend it unless you have a new MODERN rifle!! It uses Barnes 150g MRX, which is a VERY pricey bullet!! Also, barnes says on a slip that comes with the bullets that you can go up to two grains over max, IF you watch for pressure signs! I did that and then some! And with a mag primer! The load I worked up is fantastic, but again I worked it up SLOWLY, but it has no over pressure signs (ie, no flattened primer, sticky bolt handle etc.) but again, this is only on my rifle, yours maybe much different!

just my input.....dont do what I do cause you read it here!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    considering that the 300RUM is made to operate at 56K psi, I don't think the 30-06 is disadvantaged at 60K psi. The 300RUM rifles are modern, and many that use the 30-06 are 100yrs old, so you must keep that in mind.

If you wish to get to 65K psi IN A MODERN RIFLE, then load for it. HOWEVER, keep in mind that 60K psi is getting very close to top end loads. Much further, and you are venturing into dark waters. A sticky bolt lift means you are 10K psi past where you should have stopped in the first place.

There is a bit of an axiom to this also regarding the 100+ year old round. You can get better velocities using the right powder for it without exceeding pressure limits. You just use more burn time with the chosen powder giving more push time on the bullet and then you have your velocity. Again, without exceeding pressure limitations.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My rifle is a modern production winchester 70, made sometime in the 1970s I believe (kind of inherited it) so the warnings about 100 year old rifles (of which I'm well aware) don't really apply. ]

Like I said, I don't overload it anyway, as the listed max loads are more than sufficient for my purposes.

This was just an academic discussion more than anything else brought on by simple curiosity.
  • Options
    norgexxxnorgexxx Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Historical souces confirm that the ammo for the 1903 was a bit stiffer then for the M1 Garand. The Garand was intentionally 'light-loaded' for several reasons, 1.) to lessen wear on the recoil system, esp. the bolt-carrier banging to the limits of it travel would cause problems in real short-order on the battle field. 2.) Even tho the gas piston design allowed for a lot of fouling and would still function, just a small reduction in the size of the charge let the GI fire several hundred MORE rounds then when firing the original 03 loads. Even today, those who shoot the Garand competitively, or for sport will tell you that the best way to ruin one is to 'load 'er up'. A couple of my 'pet' loads for 30-06 include 180-200gr bullets with 7828 SSC powder that are pretty stout, but not excessive. The 30-06 is a wonderfully versitile cartridge, but unlike many other calibers, the type of platform in use should play a large role in determining the 'stoutness' of the load....just sayin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by norgexxx
    Historical souces confirm that the ammo for the 1903 was a bit stiffer then for the M1 Garand. The Garand was intentionally 'light-loaded' for several reasons, 1.) to lessen wear on the recoil system, esp. the bolt-carrier banging to the limits of it travel would cause problems in real short-order on the battle field. 2.) Even tho the gas piston design allowed for a lot of fouling and would still function, just a small reduction in the size of the charge let the GI fire several hundred MORE rounds then when firing the original 03 loads. Even today, those who shoot the Garand competitively, or for sport will tell you that the best way to ruin one is to 'load 'er up'. A couple of my 'pet' loads for 30-06 include 180-200gr bullets with 7828 SSC powder that are pretty stout, but not excessive. The 30-06 is a wonderfully versitile cartridge, but unlike many other calibers, the type of platform in use should play a large role in determining the 'stoutness' of the load....just sayin.

I think that's good advice for any round that's chambered in both autos and bolt guns. I load "light" for my FAL and pack 'em tight for my buddy's 308.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I will say that those loads may be fine a bolt gun. But, one other factor you have to pay strict attention to is loading too slow of a powder in the M1 Garand, or any other gas operated rifle for that matter. 7878ssc is way too slow for the Garand. The pressure will be too high down as far as the gas port. Now, with some rifles you can adjust the gas piston to eliminate some of that. I was of the understanding you can with an M1A, but not an M1.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the M1 Garand had loads developed for it using 4895. I would not use anything else, since if I want to experiment, I can grab a bolt gun from the safe.

also, my origninal post staed that the 300RUM was designed to operate at 56K psi, but I mis-typed, I meant 65K psi. Just in case anyone caught that mistake.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    62,000 psi is not "much higher" than 60,000. Nor is 64,000.
    That is about 3.3% and 6.6% higher, respectively.
    The rule of thumb is that you can get an increase in velocity proportional to the half the increase in pressure IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST RIGHT. That is 50-100 fps at best. Probably less with common powders.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will say that those loads may be fine a bolt gun. But, one other factor you have to pay strict attention to is loading too slow of a powder in the M1 Garand, or any other gas operated rifle for that matter. 7878ssc is way too slow for the Garand. The pressure will be too high down as far as the gas port. Now, with some rifles you can adjust the gas piston to eliminate some of that. I was of the understanding you can with an M1A, but not an M1.
    [/quote]

If you re-read my post a little closer you will notice that I said "one of my pet loads for the 30-06" NOT anything about a pet load for the garand. Not only is 7828 to slow it builds up way to much pressure and will throw the bolt/operating rod grouping to the limits of it travel with such force that one may end up wearing it in his forehead. I can take critizism as well as the next guy but....do not correct me for something that is YOUR mistake in interpeting. I may not post here a lot, but do not mistake that in any way for ignorance on which I speak. When I write something as fact...it is fact. When I'm not sure.. I say so, and I also ask questions from time to time as I know I do not know it all....but what I do know...I do know well. And by the way; of course the pet load in question is for a bolt gun...duhhh!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandman can also read my post in 'reloading accidents' to find out I don't know it all, and have a laugh at my expense, and he can also read my question in my post in the '30-06 pet loads' post,(just to prove that I have asked questions here also..check dates) if he thinks he has an answer...well I'm open to suggestions as no one else has posted any responses. But working up my own loads used to be half the fun, but when you working up a little bit of a bucky 30-06 load at my age any avoidence of a sore shoulder is a good thing. I've already enjoyed all the pain in one lifetime I can stand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandman can also read my post in 'reloading accidents' to find out I don't know it all, and have a laugh at my expense, and he can also read my question in my post in the '30-06 pet loads' post,(just to prove that I have asked questions here also..check dates) if he thinks he has an answer...well I'm open to suggestions as no one else has posted any responses. But working up my own loads used to be half the fun, but when you working up a little bit of a bucky 30-06 load at my age any avoidence of a sore shoulder is a good thing. I've already enjoyed all the pain in one lifetime I can stand.

Relax. My mistake. My apologies. I did misinterpret that you were responding to an M1 reference. No laughing at your expense unless you say so. Agreed?[8D]

Edit:

I do say though that while you, norgexxx, understand not to load an M1 Garand with 7878ssc powder. Other readers who might have mistook your post as I did would maybe like the reminder that 7878ssc is too slow of a powder to use in an M1 Garand. My apology stands for not understanding but the basis of my statement does not change.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Agreed...and I have no problem laughing at myself, and don't mind if others do as long as respect is maintained...laughing with ridicule will get the ol' rage-factor from 0-60 in 0.0001sec whether it be at myself or someone else, especially a weaker someone else.