In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading/hand loading for a newbie

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
Ok, it was suggested to me over on the GD forum that I could get into hand loading inexpensively.

I am not a person who shoots a lot. I like to maintain my proficiency with my guns and spend my fair share hunting, but I'm not the guy who is at the range once or twice a week.

Is it a worthwhile investment for someone like me?

Would I realize significant gains in accuracy over factory loads?

I guess I'm asking what is the cost/benefit analysis?

(sorry if this question has been posted a million times on this forum)
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO! It used to be but unless you shoot a lot or just like to do it it is not a money saver!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The cost is still some cheaper once the initial expence is over.
    Most times the accuracy is better or just as good.
    To most of us it is very relaxing to reload for a while as you need to concentrate on what you are doing. If you try while thinking about other problems, STAY AWAY FROM THE PRESS [;)]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Is it a worthwhile investment for someone like me?That depends. For 1 box a year, no. At the extreme cheap end, the Lee loader is slow but produces useable ammo for an initial outlay of about $30, going to the cheapest press kits we're talking $200-$300 to start out

Would I realize significant gains in accuracy over factory loads?Almost certainly. However it is a learning curve and some experimentation with each gun/load combo is needed.

I guess I'm asking what is the cost/benefit analysis?See http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp For example: For 100 rounds of 30-06, middle of the road ammo, you'd probably pay around $100- a dollar a round or so. Handloading with similar bullets, assuming you get the brass for free, it would cost about $46. If you bought the brass, that would run about $90 for 100 loaded- BUT you could reuse the brass many times, meaning subsequent loads are far cheaper.

Using this consideration, let's say on average you can save 50% over factory 30-06. That means that even if you went with a fairly deluxe setup- let's say $500- it would pay for itself in 25 boxes of ammo.

Again, that's using all factory components, for a middle of the range price ammo. For something oddball caliber wise, it can pay for itself in 2-3 boxes of ammo.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker19
    NO! It used to be but unless you shoot a lot or just like to do it it is not a money saver!
    Just because Joker said this, I have to outlay just how cheap it CAN be. I even looked up the prices rather than estimate this time. [:I]

Let's use my 30-06 example again. Only this time, let's say I am going to load my own as absolute cheaply as possible.

Brass- free range pick up.
    Primers- 2.5 c each.
    Bullet- homemade cast. From free wheelweights or range scrap. Initial outlay for mold: $20, plus $13 for lube sizer. Melt over stove, campfire, whatever you have.
    Reduced charge of powder- roughly 18 gr for cast lead- 6.5 c each
    Lee loader 30-06- $22

Total equipment: $57

Total cost per round: 9 cents per round. Cost per box: $1.80. 100: $9. Savings over factory: $91. # of rounds to break even: just over 60.

Granted this is an extreme example, but the equipment listed above will nonetheless produce shootable, if downloaded ammo, easy on the shoulder and pocketbook.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a 300 ultramag. loaded ammo is $64 dollars a box (20) !!!! Now I already load many other calibers so my initial investment is covered The dies will be less than the first box of ammo. What I'm saying is, that you never know what is in the future!!! Built a .33 winchester a few years back just for fun. If I had to buy factory ammo I would have missed out on what fun ctg this one is not to mention many others. Reloading puts you farther into the firearms field, adding a better understanding of whats going on in your firearm of choice.

And to answer your original query. Yes the price per round goes down... that or you get to shoot more
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To put a number to it I would guess-t-mate a noticeable cost per round savings at about 250-300 rounds of rifle and 400-500 or so in handgun caliber per year.

If you buy five boxes of rifle ammo and it lasts you two years don't bother.

If you want to shoot more, shoot better and expand your knowledge about shooting then reloading becomes a natural extension of the sport.

You can get used equipment at garage sales for a few bucks to get started.
  • Options
    karndogskarndogs Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate this thread as I too am considering getting into reloading my own ammunition. I've been to a couple different gun stores and gotten the information I need to get started. The only thing left is for me to buy the equipment and find someone who knows what they are doing to mentor me. My main hunting rifle is a .264 and ammunition is getting harder and harder to find for that caliber and it is getting much more expensive than it was when I first purchased this gun a few years ago. I go through at least one box of ammo. per year with that gun and I shoot my other guns frequently as well. I've all but convinced myself that reloading will be much cheaper for me in the long run, and I won't have to worry about not having any ammo.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can load your own ammo for a third to a tenth the cost of factory ammo -- PROVIDED you don't start shooting more because it seems so cheap to do so.

But you will. So your real outlay is going to be AT LEAST what you spend now, even if not counting the cost of the equipment. For a bit more discussion of the whole reloading thing, see my article Reloading 101 at http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Reloading%20101.htm View it with Firefox, because that damned Internet Exploder will scramble it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky, I'm most certainly going to be shooting more. That is probably the main reason I would like to reload. I want to shoot more, but can't afford to at factory prices.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need no crystal ball to predict that, my friend!

What cartridges do you shoot? Perhaps I could give you a more realistic estimate of the costs.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "fun" factor which far outweighs any cost. Where else can you experiment with gunpowder and bullets and actually have it mean something.

I literally enjoy reloading as much, if not more than shooting.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    all excellent thoughts and I certainly appreciate the numbers provided. That's pretty helpful to me. Which reloading brands should I be looking at then?
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I need no crystal ball to predict that, my friend!

What cartridges do you shoot? Perhaps I could give you a more realistic estimate of the costs.

I'm going to be reloading a .264 Win Mag, Weatherby .223, and a Howa .25-06.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my 30-06 I use a load that duplicates the advertised velocity of Hornady Superformance ammo.
    Using 150gr sst, powder, and primers it costs me ~$10 box whereas buying it at midway $30 + shipping

For my 50 using API bullets I can shoot for `$.50 rd where FMJ bullets from midway are $4rd plus shipping (on sale right now)

Can be cheaper depending on what you load, for 9mm using jacketed bullets probably not cheap enough to worry about
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr Perfect
    all excellent thoughts and I certainly appreciate the numbers provided. That's pretty helpful to me. Which reloading brands should I be looking at then?

almost all my stuff is Lee brand
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Again, this goes back to knowing what cartridges you will be reloading as well as what volume.

It makes no sense to buy an expensive progressive if you are shooting 50 rds/mo.

Provide a budget that includes initial outlay for equipment, etc + your monthly budget for components (powder, brass, etc) and other forum members can probably work around that to give you well thought out suggestions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also use Lee. Admittedly, there are higher quality brands out there, but for the price and features it does what I need. I used to have a really nice Dillon press, but even for me, a Dillon press was overkill, keeping in mind that I reload about 1000 rds/mo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    karndogs, for those three rounds, a single-stage press is all you need. You can get a complete reloading kit for anywhere between $100 and $300 depending on brand. Or pick up the essentials a piece at a time.

If you go that route, start with the Lee Classic Cast press and the Lyman reloading manual. Next up, get a good powder scale. The beam styles and the digitals are equally good for reloading, but stay away from the cheapest models of either. You can actually load with just a scale and a teaspoon to dribble in powder, but that's very tedious. So your next buy will be a powder measure. As with the scale, used ones can be found and almost any of them are more than adequate.

Finally, you'll need dies, shellholders and expendable components. Ask about those after you've accumulated the other items mentioned above. There are other things like trimmers and small tools, but we can cover them with the expendables. If you come across other load manuals, get them, too. You can't have too many, and three is about the minimum to crosscheck against typos.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload because the calibers that I shoot are soooooooooo expensive. 22 hornet, 218 bee, 41 magnum, ect. If you are just shooting a 30-30 or something like that, I guess it doesn't pay. I also reload because i find it very relaxing and challanging at the same time. It really is a fun hobby and when I do take a deer I know it is with a bullet that I made.[;)]I don't go to the range every week but I do shoot quite often.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a website "handloading cost calculator" where you plug in your costs for components and a per round cost is given....
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    For rifle, I would say definitely worth it. Like others have said, there is obviously the initial start-up costs...but once you have that down you will definitely see savings.
    Even looking at 9mm. At Wally World Winchester white box is $24.99/100rds. So, 1000 rds would be $249.99 or roughly .25/rd. Reloading can be done for roughly .12/rd. Lots of people don't reload, go to your range and collect the brass. My range will even bag up 1000 rds of brass for $10.
    Now for the relaxing/fun/feeling of accomplishment factor, it is great! Just be warned, it is an addiction.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bartman45
    There is a website "handloading cost calculator" where you plug in your costs for components and a per round cost is given....

Here's a link to it.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

I've found that the initial cost of handloading is only the beginning. First I made a target frame, then a metal detector to find the errant brass, then I built a solid shooting bench and then I built a reloading bench, then a brass catcher to mount on the shooting bench. Then I bought a chronograph, then I bought a replacement for the one I shot. Then I bought brass by the thousands, then I had to buy bullets to fill the brass, then more powder and primers to replace what I used. Then I bought more guns and had to buy new dies for those calipers.

As you can see, it can become a very addicting and expensive hobby, but it is also a relaxing and enjoyable hobby too. I set up my reloading bench out in my office in my barn, far away from the distractions of everyday life so it's peaceful and quiet, that is until I turn on the vibratory tumbler. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You can do it yourself on excel as well...Mr Perfect, if you are ever near Kent (I recall you are in WA like me) come on by and I'll show you my setup. It is very basic but I turn out quality ammunition...except when I forget the powder[:D]
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I've found that the initial cost of handloading is only the beginning. First I made a target frame, then a metal detector to find the errant brass, then I built a solid shooting bench and then I built a reloading bench, then a brass catcher to mount on the shooting bench. Then I bought a chronograph, then I bought a replacement for the one I shot. Then I bought brass by the thousands, then I had to buy bullets to fill the brass, then more powder and primers to replace what I used. Then I bought more guns and had to buy new dies for those calipers.

As you can see, it can become a very addicting and expensive hobby, but it is also a relaxing and enjoyable hobby too. I set up my reloading bench out in my office in my barn, far away from the distractions of everyday life so it's peaceful and quiet, that is until I turn on the vibratory tumbler. [:D]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup. except I had dies for guns I didnt own. My wife actually found a 218 bee for me. We didn't want to see those dies go to waste and all....
    Not to mention all the time I spend driving to the post office to see if my new components are here yet
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Reloading is fun, and something good to do with your kids. It's how I learned in the early 70's, and I've been addicted since.

2. You can save a lot of money, but the initial set up will be expensive - BUT you can find used sets online where some have given up. The definition of "a lot" also depends on you. I just feel I get better quality regardless.

3. NO, it is not NEARLY as big a $$ saver as it was in the 70's, 80, and 90's. I have boxes of .22 from Sierra at $4.95 a box all the way up to rediculous.

4. It also depends on the caliber you are shooting. I don't really save jack on 100 rounds for my 30-06, but I save a BUTT LOAD on my .338 Lapua Magnum. They are not cheap to relooad either, but a lot cheaper than buying a box of 20 for over $100.

5. The satisfaction you will get from finding the SWEET load for your particular gun will always make you smile. It is half of my shooting enjoyment. I spend a lot of time with the kids doing it as well.
  • Options
    Willys 1948Willys 1948 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be very careful! I have been reloading for over 40 years. I have never used cocaine but this must be worse. I haven't shot more than 20 factory rounds since I started and I have shot thousands of rounds. The satisfaction of discovering the perfect shooting load for your particular gun(s) far outweigh the cost/benefit analysis and I'm an accountant. If you like to shoot, go buy the equipment and books, use your common sense and get started.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I reload and find it
    quite theraputic, also
    a big benefit is you
    start shooting more
    with satisfaction, using
    your own creations
  • Options
    domnickdomnick Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading since 1972 when a neighbor of mine gave me a old Lee hand-loader kit for 30 carbine. Taught both sons to reload and plan to teach grandsons. Some equipment bought new and a bunch bought at auctions and yard sales. pick up brass at range or at base range from nco-in charge. love it, love it, love it.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best way to get into reloading is to buy gun in an obscure and/or expensive caliber.....then it's easy to justify!

Originally, my rifles were in .308 or 30-06, and it's easy to find ammo on sale. But then I bought a Win Mdl 71 in .348. Factory ammo, when you could get it, was ridiculous, and so it was easy to justify a Hornady reloading kit (press, powder scale, powder measure, etc.). Next, I started experimenting with different bullet weights, and so on. And, as long as I had the equipment, why not buy '06 dies, then .357 Mag? Then.....well, see those posts above.

Presently, I load for 38 Spl, .357 Mag, 44 Spl, 7.62 Nagant, 22 Hornet, .223 Rem, 30-30, 45-70. As you can see, buying some in factory ammo would be much more costly than others. Figuring I amortized the cost of the reloading kit years ago, I'm still saving 50% on .223, 30-30 and 38 Spl. Others show significantly more savings: it costs me less to load 22 Hornet than .223, whereas 22 Hornet factory ammo prices are at least double the cost of .223 Rem.

Buying "++P" 45-70 factory loads for my Marlin Guide gun is expensive. Rolling my own? About half the cost of on-sale Remington 45-70 rounds, which are under-loaded so as to not blow up 19th Century rifles and their replicas.

And as stated so eloquently by previous posters, it is a great hobby....if you want another hobby! [?] [;)]
  • Options
    tbatestbates Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am relatively new to reloading; just the last few years. I shoot prairie dogs and have been known to shoot 500-600 rounds of .204 and .223 on a weekend. I make 5-6 trips a year plus trips to the range to zero rifles and test reloads. The 204s are cheaper if you reload, but I have bought varmint grade .223s for less than 50 cents a piece. Good 204s cost about a buck each and I can load them for about 30 cents. After much experimenting, my reloads are wickedly accurate . It will take me awhile to recover the cost of reloading equipment with saving over factory, but, for me, reloading is an absorbing hobby that I really like. So, the pleasure goes well beyond saving money. Having fun is the most important thing. Don't get too focused on dollars at the expense of a good time.
  • Options
    Willys 1948Willys 1948 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with tbates. If your like me, I spend several times what I spend in reloading ammo going out to eat at restaurants. Don't beat yourself up too much over costs. Compared to other addictions like golf, this is relatively cheap.