In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 in Lee .38 Spec Dies(Carbide)

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I have two different batches of .357 brass. One batch is Remington nickle plated, other is Winchester brass. I loaded a .358 dia. bullet in both cases and the Rem nickle plated is just fine.(wall thickness .010) The Win brass has wall thickness of .011. I notices there is a smooth pull in the factory crimp die with the Rem. The Win has some ridges in the brass where the bullet lube channel is, and isn't smooth at all. Of course the wall thickness is the problem, but why would it happen if the die is supposed to be for both calibers? I think I may need .357 bullet for the mag cases?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as the reloads chamber, don't worry about the ridges on the outside of the case. The difference in pull may cause a variance in accuracy or velocity so if uniformity is your goal, segregate the loads.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That nickle also makes the Remmie cases stiffer, so the wall can't squeeze into the lube groove. Brass is elastic (think of stretch pants) and will conform to the bullet contour if it can. Not much, but it does.

It is of absolutely no concern as long as the round with the thicker brass still chambers.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You might try a little less crimp on them.
    Just back off the crimp die a 1/8 turn and try that.