In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

16ga componets

Dugls51Dugls51 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Ok guys help me out here, does anyone mfg QUALITY componets for loading 16ga shotshells anymore? Especially hulls, the only ones I can find are BPI and Fiocchi, I have not tried them yet, I do not know anything about them, good or bad. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the bpi for 28 ga, seemed to work well for me, can't see where 16ga would be much different. They did seem to be just a hair longer than stock winchester hulls, never did measure them though, but that seemed to help get tighter crimp for me.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Components are hard to find. I think Remington is the only maker of plastic wads. I have not seen MT hulls for sale lately. You will probably have to buy loaded ammo to get the hulls. I found a lot of vintage wads at gun shows and do load with them.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. Try ballistic products. Also go over and join 16ga.com to post your question or do a search with out joining on reloading components. There is a forum dedicated to reloading. Watch your hulls, older plastic, especially Win vary widely on interior base design and size. Also consider roll crimping ( with 20ga overshot card),there are advantages to this in 16ga to compensate for shot position in the hull.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using Fiocchi hulls for my 2 1/2" 16's for about ten years and like them.
    Bear in mind, with the Fiocchi hulls you are going to need the Fiocchi 616 primers. 209's won't fit the primer pocket.

BPI also has some outstanding wads listed under their name and load recipes to use them with. I was totaly impressed with the Z16 in both my A5 and Husqvarna Model 20.
  • Options
    Dugls51Dugls51 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences to help answer my question, it is amazing what you can learn if you just ask. Thanks again