In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.416 Barrett VS other Long Range Calibers

DeBoerDeBoer Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
I have a barrett 99A1 .416 with a Leupold mark 4 8.5-25x50 ER/T, with the BORS. I have not however gone out to shoot the rifle and seem to be looking for more it is like a disease. (Gun Fever) LOL I am sure many of you understand. Anyways I am wondering in accuracy how it adds up to the Chey-Tac's and other long range Big Bore's and what else is on the market that I may want to pick up. Look forward to hearing more.....

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you see the show Ultimate Weapons last night on the Military Channel where they profiled multiple sniper rifles including this one?

You may be able to see it online and how it compared to the other sniper rifles they profiled.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DeBoer,

There are too many variables involved in the analysis of accuracy when you are the greatest variable. Maybe you got a superb 99A1 and your Leupold is better than the their current products so you have a better platform from the start. However, the ammunition will be a problem since there is only one flavor and it's controlled by Ronnie. Your best bet is to secure s good supply of components and load for yourself. Ronnie is documented as having supply problems which you can't get around unless you reload with existing components. Nothing like having an expensive rifle/scope and no ammunition...

In my opinion and experience, I would have a custom .375 Chey-Tac (Snipe-Tac) built and call it good to go. I'd mount a U.S. Optics scope on it and build some tested ammunition with a better selection of bullets. If you need an aggressive looking stock, use the XLR. I suggest a Surgeon XL action with a Bartlein barrel. Then reload, test and practice, practice, practice.

The limitation here is how far you can see accurately. Most folks have no idea what happens to your ability to see clearly when you try it at 1,760 yards through several layers of glass and magnified. The next problem to overcome is reading the shooting conditions that occur at every point along the long range path you choose to shoot. What happens at the muzzle can be totally different at several other points down range. Try shooting at one mile sometime. It make shooting at 1,000 yards seem easy by comparison.

Best.

ADDED:

I had forgotten to mention the .460 Steyr also. It's made from a shortened .50 BMG case and necked down to take the .45 cal. bullets. This is loaded by a couple of companies and there are components for reloading. Steyr obviously makes a factory rifle but the best availability is from the custom makers.

The .50 DTC Europ is another shortened .50 BMG case created to fly under the radar and legislation of the European governments restrictions on the .50 BMG cartridge. There are a couple of factory guns made for this cartridge but the great majority are custom made.

Bullets nowadays are usually lathe turned custom components running anywhere from $1.00/each to $8.00/each depending on the caliber and manufacturer. This is a growing segment of the current component market. Search for 'mono-metallic bullets' or 'custom lathe turned bullets' for more information. Lehigh is one of the makers:

http://www.lehighbullets.com/

Gerard Schultz (GS Custom, ZA) makes some terrific solids for target and hunting. They will be opening a manufacturing facility in the U.S. sometime this year.

http://gscustom.co.za/

Best.