In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 846

Just found a deal on 846 ($10 a LB) but I have never used it before. I'm thinking of using it in .223 and .308. I was told the load data is very close to Blc-2. I dont have any data in any of my load books to verify this. Has anyone used this powder, and know of any load books that list it?

Thanks
Middle

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If is truly 846, it is not a canister powder. If it is a surplus or military pull-down powder, you will not find published loads using it. That means you are your own ballistics lab. I hope you know what you are doing.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used BLC(2) data when loading surplus WCC-846 for 223. We went through about 24 pounds of it when we couldn't get WCC-844.
  • Options
    thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    I have used BLC(2) data when loading surplus WCC-846 for 223. We went through about 24 pounds of it when we couldn't get WCC-844.

Was told to use BL c2, WC 748, And H335 as work up loads.

Google WC 846
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    If is truly 846, it is not a canister powder. If it is a surplus or military pull-down powder, you will not find published loads using it. That means you are your own ballistics lab. I hope you know what you are doing.

Its new surplus, not pull down.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thebambam2001
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN

Was told to use BL c2, WC 748, And H335 as work up loads.

Google WC 846

Thats what I thought, thank you for the info, Ill be hitting the reloading bench this weekend and Ill let you know how it turns out.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have found it to be exceptional in both the .223 and .308 family and similar, up to 7.5X55 Swiss. Biggger than that, it functions ok but accuracy drops off. For instance I have run a lot of it through my 30-06 and a safe load is certainly possible using BLC2 data, but they just weren't as accurate as others.

Good powder, versatile, well worth the price.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was instructed to use BL(c)2 data for the WCC846 powder and H335 data for the WCC844 powder.
    As an FYI on the pulldown 844 powder I got last month. I found that a charge of 25.5 w/55 FMJ and CCI #41 in LC brass gave 3200 fps from a 24" barrel and 2900fps/16". I also discovered you need to use a fine strainer when filling the powder measure-2 pieces of gravel like material in the first jug I opened. Not something I want in my ammo or zinging down my bore.