In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dillon mod. RL550

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
Anybody have one ? I have a chance to go to a auction and was wondering if they were a good deal.I checked the Dillon site and they have a mod.550B which must be a new updated version.Just wondering if anybody had problems with them. I see they sell new for around $ 430.00 but any idea what it might go for used,i checked the auction side and got no results.

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I have a older RL550, I love it and I have never had a problem with it. If I ever do need any replacement parts all I would have to do is call Dillon and they would send them over free of charge.
  • Options
    gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The primary difference between the RL550 and the RL550B is the presence of lubricating ports in the RL550B. To lubricate the shafts and bearing surfaces in the RL550, one has to disassemble the press. I have had one bearing surface on my RL550 that became slightly galled due to inadequate lubrication (after several thousand rounds of use). I dissassembled the press, polished the galled surface and lubricated all the shafts and bearing surfaces. The press is none the worse for wear and produces excellent reloads. Taking the press a part and reassembling it is fairly trivial.

A second difference often seen on older RL550's is that the powder measure has a spring loaded return rather than a positive mechanical return. The spring loaded return works well but can be "upgraded" to the mechanical return with parts from Dillon. I do not remember if I had to pay for the parts when I rebuilt my powder measure. I don't think there is any difference in the accuracy of the dropped charges from the measure relative to the return mechanism.

I would buy another RL550 without any reservations. Dillon stands behind their products no matter if you are, or are not, the original owner.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Radar You got mail.