In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR-15 Build

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
I am building an AR-15. I am going 24" 1x9 in twist 223 for prairie dogs and coyote (don't want to use a 22-250) for out from 300 or less yards. Is there a website or a place someone can send me a link with a list of parts that is needed to build a complete ar-15? Literally, I want to make it a check-list. I buy one thing on the list, check it off. Go to the next. It's going to be great! Thanks!

-Joe D.

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownells has schematics of the AR with parts lists. Just my opinion, but you would be $$ ahead and likely have a better outcome if you buy a complete name brand upper. I have assembled several AR lowers and a few days ago assembled my first complete rifle. Depending on which lower you choose, you can save money or waste money compared to buying a complete unit. Your description and intended use will be better served by using a match or after market trigger.
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I think I was going to do just that. I was going to purchase a complete upper from dpms in a 24 inch. Fully assembled. The Lower is going to be with match parts. I am going to buy a stripped lower very soon. the slowly put parts in it because I would like different butt stocks, grips, etc what you normally find in a "complete" lower. Thanks for the help. Any other place I could look for a list of parts?

Thanks,

Joe D.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need a parts list. Buy a lower parts kit. All internal parts come in lower parts kits. You will need to decide on your stock. Then you can decide on your buffer tube/buffer and spring, and a nut if needed. So, after a lower parts kit you will need.

Stock
    buffer
    buffer spring
    buffer tube
    buffer tube nut if needed
    buffer tube space if needed.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uni82,

This is the workspace devised by Brownells to help you make a list of the parts you select for your build. It's point and click with a 'grocery-type' list provided.

http://www.ar15builder.com/

This is a complete assembly walk-thru created by Midway. It has the lists of parts as well as an illustrated photographic guide to building the upper and lower. There is also a tool section as you might expect...

http://www.midwayusa.com/Static/ar-15VarmintRifleInstructions.aspx

There are also books and videos available from both sources for additional guidance. I'm sure there is a ton of 'how-to' stuff on YouTube.

Personally, I'd buy a good lower parts kit and add the things I felt strongly about such as the buttstock, trigger and pistol grip.

Best.
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nonsense,
    The midway page is exactly what I was looking for. I don't intend on building an ar15 from 100% scratch, but I just wanted to know all the parts that were going to be involved. Thanks again!

-JD
  • remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    Try Rick Cass at Indy Custom Firearms. His rifles are kick butt and priced right. Figure out what you want and have him put it together for you.
    http://www.indycustomfirearms.com/default.aspx