In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bench Guys- Unterl /B&L scope question

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
This is 2 part

I have seen bench guys 100s of times Cycle Unterl scopes after each shot (slide it back and forth for zero).

Should I be doing this with my Bausch & Lambe Balvar cam set 1/8click?

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The spring on the target Unterl mounts work the opposite way most people think. In a heavy recoiling rifle the spring should have less preload on the scope tube. This allows the spring to lessen the recoil. So in a heavy hitting gun, shooters manually "reset" the scope tube to confirm return to zero. I never needed to reset the scope on my .22lr Anshutz with 20x unterl. What is your set-up?? big recoil?? does your spring mount work the same as a Unterl??
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    The spring on the target Unterl mounts work the opposite way most people think. In a heavy recoiling rifle the spring should have less preload on the scope tube. This allows the spring to lessen the recoil. So in a heavy hitting gun, shooters manually "reset" the scope tube to confirm return to zero. I never needed to reset the scope on my .22lr Anshutz with 20x unterl. What is your set-up?? big recoil?? does your spring mount work the same as a Unterl??

Mine is a quarter bore (.25-06)
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, that is, I would say a lite to middle recoiling gun??? Some of the old timers using those scopes on a lite weight '03 in 30/06 would even remove the spring completely because of eye relief. Basically you want the least amount of spring preload, with out the scope hitting your eyebrow[V]. The start point if I remember was 2/3 compressed of the spring for average guns. I will try to find one of my old handbooks on those scopes. I haven't shot a spring mount scope in competition for the last 20 years.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not use the spring a 20X Unertl mounted on an Anschutz 1413. It was habit to reset the scope after every shot.