In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HANDLOADS FOR THE 45 AUTORIM?

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
A fellow employee would like me to handload 100 rounds of defensive ammunition, not target for his S&W 1955 revolver with 6 inch bbl. I'm looking at 200 or 230 grain JHP's to achieve this for him. What are your suggestions? Is this a good defensive round? What are your recipes for this caliber? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.1 grains of Unique pushing a 230 JHP shoots very well in my 25-2. It is one of the most accurate loads I have shot at 50 yards with it.

-added-
    That load would be a very effective defense round!!!!
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why use the auto rim case? I use full moon clips & A.C.P. cases in mine. The moon clip act like a speed loader only better because it stays with the cartridges when loading the cylinder. I use 6 grs. of Unique behind a cast 262 gr. Lyman 452424. Julie qualified with it for her last CCW renewal. E.Z.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a little concerned over this thread.
    The OP is asking a bunch of strangers what HE should handload for somebody else's self defense.
    I think I would want an experienced, knowledgeable, confident professional loading my ammunition... if I were not loading or buying for myself, which I do.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to relax or take some Xanax.

You sound like a Democratic lawyer.
  • Options
    odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree w/elubsme here, if this is for self-defence and loading and reloading are important, then the Full Moon clips w/factory 45apc is the way to go here!
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Hawk Carse,
    I don't much care if it's target loads or self defense ammo. I won't reload for anyone else, even, (especially) friends, and I won't shoot anyone else's reloads.
    Paranoid? Maybe. So be it.
    Two reasons:
    First, if you, or anyone else, reload long enough, you will experience a problem. Maybe a squib, maybe a double charge. I'll take that chance for myself, but not with someone else's reloads.
    Second, if someone is shooting my reloads and something unrelated goes wrong, chances are it's still my reloads that get the blame.
    (I loaned a friend my .257 for a deer hunt back in 1967. He put a bullet through the wanagan and swore the rifle had malfunctioned. I've had that rifle since 1960 and it has never gone off except when the trigger was pulled; before or since. You'll never convince my friend that the rifle hadn't malfunctioned. You'll never convince me that it didn't go off because he pulled the trigger.)
    It's easy enough to buy factory or load you own. We all have our own
    SOP's. Them's mine.[:D][:D]
  • Options
    ZerobeatZerobeat Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    +1 Hawk Carse,
    I don't much care if it's target loads or self defense ammo. I won't reload for anyone else, even, (especially) friends, and I won't shoot anyone else's reloads.
    Paranoid? Maybe. So be it.
    Two reasons:
    First, if you, or anyone else, reload long enough, you will experience a problem. Maybe a squib, maybe a double charge. I'll take that chance for myself, but not with someone else's reloads.
    Second, if someone is shooting my reloads and something unrelated goes wrong, chances are it's still my reloads that get the blame.
    (I loaned a friend my .257 for a deer hunt back in 1967. He put a bullet through the wanagan and swore the rifle had malfunctioned. I've had that rifle since 1960 and it has never gone off except when the trigger was pulled; before or since. You'll never convince my friend that the rifle hadn't malfunctioned. You'll never convince me that it didn't go off because he pulled the trigger.)
    It's easy enough to buy factory or load you own. We all have our own
    SOP's. Them's mine.[:D][:D]

A friend had given me some .38sp reloads a few years ago. They were so hot, that I had to pound the brass out of my .357mags cylinder. Once out, you could see splits in the cases. I disassembled the rounds, and then reloaded them. Don't know if it was an over-charge situation, or if he just "developed" too hot of a load, but never again.