In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading used cartridges for .30-40 Krag

dabeevdabeev Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
This may be a lot of info to ask for, but I'm looking at getting into buying what it takes to make .30-40 Krag ammo since it's so hard to come by now. I have almost no gun experience and inherited this Krag from my Grandfather who passed away recently - it was his Dad's.
5590539530_448c91d513.jpg
5590537706_74901437db.jpg

This is my first gun and a pretty unique one at that. I'm in the process of making sure it's ready to fire and all that but the ammo is becoming troublesome.

Anyway I'm looking for the very specifics I would need, everything (primers, scales and everything else) I would need to build my own ammo for it. I'm not looking to mass produce anything, only to get 20 rounds or so that I could shoot off every once and a while. Since the ammo pre-assembled is so expensive I was thinking I could just buy everything and be set for a very very long time.

(of course getting direction from someone on how to use it more)

I'm just looking for a basic cost-to-start number. Like $150 to get everything to start putting them together kind of number.

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a start for you to get shooting and have some brass for reloading.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=223231850
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    email sent, beev .....
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I've been reloading 30-40 for my father's 1895 Winchester for about a decade now. Winchester made the last brass I bought about 5 years ago. (I got it at Jax in Ft Collins.) It's a pretty straightforward operation.

Your local sporting goods store or WalMart would probably have an RCBS starter kit. I've seen them for about $225.00 Incuded in the kit is usually a reloading manual. I recommend you read everything before the load data pages. It could save you some embarrassing and potentially dangerous situations in your endeavors. Then find an old hand at reloading if you can and hang on his every word. there is wisdom well beyond what you eill find in the manuals.

I've been slowly assembling my reloading bench from gun auctions and back shelves at old-time gun shops over the years.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure you've also done so, but a Google search found this company: http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/3040-krag-centerfire-rifle-ammo-sale-online-discount-prices-ammunition-c-10480_14658_14743_14905_14866.html

Don't have any idea of who makes HSM ammo, but you might ask them if it comes in boxer primed cases and who makes the brass.

And this company says Winchester 30-40 is in stock: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-3040-krag

EDIT: there you go. Buy a couple of boxes of ammo, shoot them and then reload.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HSM (Hunting Shack Munitions) is an American commercial loader/reloader. They use normal US/boxer components, & the trademark blaze orange boxes are commonly seen at gunshows in the western US. Found the current info rather quickly:

The Hunting Shack
    4406 Rathbun Lane
    Stevensville, MT 59870 USA
    406-777-2106, 800-856-2857
    www.thehuntingshack.com

Just found this starter set in an email blast from Wideners.com, at a dang good price:
    "Includes the new Breech Lock Challenger Press & 3 Breech Lock quick-change bushings. You get a complete powder handling system, with the most convenient and repeatable Perfect Powder Measure. Plus the Lee Safety Scale, the most sensitive and safest of all powder scales and fill your case with the included Powder Funnel".

Manufacturer: Lee
    Stock Number: 90050
    Inventory Status: IN STOCK
    Price: $92.00 each