In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to load 'light' shot, wads etc. ???>

I have started using self-reclaimed shot from a local club, I wash off the dirt, sift out rocks and go over it a spoonful at a time to pick out any small stones with a tweezer, yes; time consuming, but something to do in bad weather. Problem is: this shot (a lot has some degree of that white oxide) comes out in actual weight at 1/8 oz. less than new stuff. If I fill a standard 1 oz. shotcup I actually have 7/8 oz. in weight, etc. A member of this forum suggested a mild pressure load for 12 ga. as 1 1/8 oz. with 23 gr. of Unique which I want to use -but- the WWAA12 (white) wad only holds 1 oz. of this stuff in actual weight. I have access to some WWAA12 (red) wads (listed as for 1 1/4 oz. loads) this wad will give me an actual weight load of 1 1/8 oz. Is weight or bulk most important? Can I simply substitute the red wads to get the correct weight for the load? With the backyard thrower, this shot breaks the heck outta clays, but it just didn't 'feel' right. Been shooting something or other over 50 yrs. and some of you may know what I mean. No bloopers or sign of excess press.

Comments

• 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest that you go to a 17gr 700X or 18gr Red Dot powder load with the AA12ga wad and i think your loads will feel closer to right even if you are only throwing 7/8 ot 1oz of shot. Shot 7/8 oz loads in AA Win comp formed cases for years at skeet and it breaks them just as well as 1 1/8 oz loads if you're on the bird. Might miss a few if you are always fringing them tho. I would not fo with the Win AAred wad in any case.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something else you might keep in mind is that "shot bushings" only hold the listed weight of shot if you are loading number NINE shot. If you load 6's, 4's etc. the actual weight of shot in the bushing will be less...sometimes a lot less.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I read your post correctly, you want to end up with a 1 oz load but your set up will throw 7/8 oz with the reclained shot.

You indicated that using 1 1/4 throws 1 1/8.

Assuming the above is correct and you have a MEC reloader, have you considered using a 1 1/8 charge bar to see if it throws the 1 oz loads? If you're reloading small quantities, you could also get an adjustable shot/powder dipper and weigh out some shot.
  • grayingghostgrayingghost Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not have an expensive reloading outfit that "throws" shot, I have a Lee Load-All Jr. bought in 1985. Shells are loaded with an adjustable dipper, powder and shot is loaded that way, nothing is "thrown". What I want is a 1 1/8 load. I have been hand weighing powder and shot and this reclaimed shot is lighter, a correct 1 oz. wad only holds 7/8 shot. A 1 1/8 wad only holds 1 oz. etc, etc. This shot is primarily #8 and #7 1/2 mixture with possibly a few larger here and there. As stated, goal is 1 1/8 load. Currently using the 1 oz. wad (which holds 7/8 of this stuff) with my "reloaders guide" load of 16.5 Bullseye for 7/8 load. I didn't try it yet, but I don't know what loading a powder charge for a 1 1/8 load when there is actually only 1 oz. will act like. As I said, the old WWAA12 red wad will allow a full 1 1/8 shot load with a good crimp. Hence, the question of importance, weight or bulk.
    edited November -1
    The AA12ga Win wad will be overflowing when 1 1/8 oz of shot is dumped into it. Many pellets will not show to have wad protection but will when fired as it will compress into the wad somewhat. The powder charges listed earlier with the 1 1/8 oz load are still recommended loads in all my loading manuals. When you are reloading the hull you will also get some wad compression when you crimp the hull. Hope that answers your question better for you.
    edited November -1
    Are you using the Win pink wad or white wad? Pink is the 1 oz wad and White is the 1 1/8 oz wad.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you check for steel shot in the mix? Magnum or high antimony shot will weigh lighter also.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Pressure is going to be effected more by weight than bulk of the load. Steel loads can be much bulkier than lead loads and achieve the same pressures. Theoretically a lighter load should mean less pressure meaning you can usually increase powder a bit. Given a specific pressure to work with you can achieve it with a light, fast load or a heavy, slow load.

And as mentioned the weight listed on shot bushings is subject to shot size. The smaller the shot the more it can compact and the heavier it will be for a given volume. While lead shot data has never seemed to address this, steel shot data does. Actually if the shot bushings are calibrated for the smallest shot it is going to leave a margin of error for anyone using it for a larger size shot.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grizzclaw nailed it. I was having trouble getting my 1 1/8oz 1200fps trap loads to weight out at 1 1/8oz on the dot, they kept weighing in light. My reloading supplier told me that the "magnum" shot and the other shot weights cary because of the ingredients. I have a RCBS5-0-5 scale that tells the 1 1/8oz is 492.2gr. I usually end up in the mid to high 480's. The pellet count is the same but your shot weight will be off a little. You can verify if you want to count the pellets. 7 1/2 shot is ~350 pellets for 1oz.,~393 pellets for 1 1/8oz. This is an approximate weight as you have everything mixed at the range. Not likely though you will see alot of steel shot at the gun club, but you never know[;)]