In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

380 reloading problem!

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
I have a new issue loading on my Lee Turret press.

It is the 4 hole turret.
I have the proper RCBS #10 shellholder in place.

Problem- The case, when raising the arm is .005 (estimated) out of
alignment with the expander/charging die.
It is crushing 1/4" of the case mouth.
I have cleaned it, and the bushing insert moves freely.

I load several calibers and after 2 years, this is the first time I have experienced this.

The die is installed correctly, as best I see. No problems screwing it in the turret. The shellholder is clean and properly in place.

I also have loaded 100 rounds successfully last month! It "clicked" a bit, but now it's worse.
Basically, it's an alignment problem. But, it works well with the 10 other calibers I load.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    it sounds like at least one hole in the turret is slightly out of alignment. Put the sizing die into one of the OTHER four holes and see if this cures the problem with only sizing . I would all the dies and try the sizing die in all holes . Some brands of dies have less rounded mouth for Sizing dies then others to let the die contact closer to the extractor grove. you might have to go with another sizing Die.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    perryshooter- You are the Man! I was just sitting here, contemplating the issue and just saw your post.
    I was tired last night too..

I changed out the 4 hole die-holder on the turret press, and it's working great.

Thank you![8D]
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was probly the hole where the powder measure usually is put. Mine is the same way, except it has a bushing for the powder measure.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got 100 rounds loaded quickly.
    I'm seeing about replacing the turret as all holes are out of alignment. The issue is not as bad with the other 3 dies, but the killer is the insert for the powder measure. First time I have had a problem with Lee parts, ever. No big deal.

Luckily, I had a spare to use. My wife will be happy with having something to shoot next weekend.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been warming up with my new Lee Classic Turrett Press and so far the indexing and alignment has been spot on every time I crank the lever.

I'm very pleased with the fit and finish and since I just loaded my first live .30-06 rounds, now I'm going to move to .45 acp, .380 acp, and 9mm Parabellum.

I'm a big fan of Lee now.