In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just Shot My First Reloads Today, Awesome!

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
After hitting this board up with a zillion questions, I finally went out and purchased all my single stage reloading equipment. Mostly Lee, but that's not the point.

Then today, after carefully loading 6 rounds of 44 Magnum pistol loads, I finally went out and shot them. They shot accurate and had no problems.

Now I can move on and load another 50-100 and hit the range again.

I'm very pleased with the experience, as well as the unlimited amount of help/input/advice from so many of you out there on this board.

Reloading is enjoyable and rewarding, not to mention the cost savings.

Thanks Again to all who helped me! [:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• Options
    tskrytskry Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL, RELOADING PRESSES ARE VERY ADDICTIVE, YOU DON'T WANT TO END UP IN REHAB[8D]
  • Options
    ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find after 30+ years of reloading I have to take my sons and grandsons to the range with me so I'll have enough brass to load when I get home[:D][:D] Three gen. got to love it.[:)]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over a half century of handle-pulling here, and finding enough empty cases under my bench to feed my reloading habit is the hard part!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the addiction. [:D]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by floorguy24
    After hitting this board up with a zillion questions, I finally went out and purchased all my single stage reloading equipment. Mostly Lee, but that's not the point.

Then today, after carefully loading 6 rounds of 44 Magnum pistol loads, I finally went out and shot them. They shot accurate and had no problems.

Now I can move on and load another 50-100 and hit the range again.

I'm very pleased with the experience, as well as the unlimited amount of help/input/advice from so many of you out there on this board.

Reloading is enjoyable and rewarding, not to mention the cost savings.

Thanks Again to all who helped me! [:D][:D][:D]

That's exactly where I started, with the .44 mag. It's the twelve step program from here for you-[:D][:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's already started.

I'm taking a break from another round of 50 right now. Then, back out in the garage for another 50...
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are also about to discover the truth: reloading will not save you any money. Yes, you can load ammo for a lot less per round - but you are already shooting a lot more rounds than you would have with factory stuff.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started reloading in 1958 with the .220 Swift and Herter's equipment. Shortly after I added the .30/06 and .243. I think Herter's got a lot of us into reloading because their stuff was cheap. Most of my stuff now is RCBS. The last time I tried to count 'em, I had 93 die sets and I've added a few more since. I'm completely out of shelf space for dies! As has been said, it's addictive and almost as much fun as shooting.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    You are also about to discover the truth: reloading will not save you any money. Yes, you can load ammo for a lot less per round - but you are already shooting a lot more rounds than you would have with factory stuff.

[V] I know your right
  • Options
    uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will have to agree with floorguy24 on this one. I am an amateur reloader. My father could pass on so much information (yet he is still a great resource) obviously he doesn't know it all.

When I had a question, gun broker members helped out near immediately. Now at age 24, I reload for every caliber (which is at least 8+ calibers) I have saved so much money for hunting rounds, range rounds, trigger time rounds and (soon to be) competition rounds. My only thing is I will be asking a lot of questions come June because I will be reloading for competition. That will take more time and effort into each round but the results should be great (sry for the little tangent).

A book can only help out so much. Word of mouth and (IMHO) other individuals experiences are shared and learned. Having people that share the same passion as you (I and everyone else that is a member of this forum) is one of the best resources out there. They are great!

-JD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's all good. I'll shoot more, save money, then spend more money, then do it all over again. [:p]

Gotta love it, and gotta love the help all of you guys give. [^]
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another one hooked for life !!
    Enjoy the great new addiction, 'cuz it's all downhill from here ....
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to a rewarding and exciting world of reloading.There is nothing I enjoy more on a friday night after a hard week of working than reloading some ammo and going to the range. What are you reloding in your 44??? Try hornady xtp-hp with unique powder. I use it in my 44 and wow what a great reload. Accurate as all heck.[;)]Good luck and post some of your loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oakie- I'm using Hogdgon Universal powder with RNFP lead 240 grain bullets. Looking for H110 anfd Unique powder next. The lead bullets are fine for me simply because of cost. I shoot a lot and the Hornadays cost too much to shoot so often.

Everyone else- I'm still reloading regularly. It's a blast...[:D]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    floorguy24 Have you noticed? It takes more and more to get one to the same place! Intially a person will get a half dozen or so put up. Next it is 20 or more ... soon one has to do at least 100 or more at a time.

You get better and more efficient ... less time per round ... no less time to finish up with the reloading session though!

The cost per round goes way down ... but if anything one spends more on ammo!

Have more ammunition available, it is better suited to your own needs ... it is tailored or customized as you wish. As you progress, you'll be shooting the most accurate ammunition for your rig.

It's good hearing from you of your progress.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Alan. I do spend more on ammo, but that was the point in a way. I'm shooting more, which is what reloading allows me to do.

If I kept buying factory ammo, I'd spend a similar amount of money and shoot far less. Now I get far more "bang for my buck", literally.

It's also good for me as far as "relaxing" is concerned. I don't think about the days work, or other things at all when I'm reloading. It's a hobby, in a way.

I was skeptical at first, but I'm really glad I tried it now. [8D]