In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

is it a lot cheaper

to reload for the 9mm and 223 for plinking then it is to buy factory ???

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    always cheaper.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's cheaper IF you are a reloader already. If you are not, don't believe anyone here about how much money they "save". Reloading is a disease worst than gun collecting. You may start out with about $200 in equipment...but if you continue to reload, you will spend any and all money you have to get bigger and better stuff. You will end up buying 6 different types of powder and 10 different bullet tips for each 9mm you load. It is worst than crack cocaine. Welcome to my world.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am on the fence with my .223... My AR loves factory Ultramax 55gr BT ammo. I have tried to reload, Duplicate and squeeze a little more out of it and I can't.

I can't beat the stuff for price in bulk lots. But! that is my only rifle with reloading issues VS. Price
  • floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    It's cheaper IF you are a reloader already. If you are not, don't believe anyone here about how much money they "save". Reloading is a disease worst than gun collecting. You may start out with about $200 in equipment...but if you continue to reload, you will spend any and all money you have to get bigger and better stuff. You will end up buying 6 different types of powder and 10 different bullet tips for each 9mm you load. It is worst than crack cocaine. Welcome to my world.

Lol!!

I'm newly agreed.[:p]
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tazzer

I tend to agree a lot with babun regarding his take "is it a lot cheaper to reload . . . ?".

Once you invest in the reloading equipment ... you are inclined to want to make it worth while ... so you will be very encouraged, or self-motivated to reload a lot of ammo.

If you are like me, the ammo just setting there is not of much use ... so you are inclined to be shooting more than you have ever shot before! And shooting more ... you'll have to be reloading much more or you will always be out of ammo!

Getting back to your question again - there have been times that I have acquired very good plinking ammo for very good prices. This was due to the fact that I'd by ammo by the case at times.

If it was good quality brass used for the bulk plinking ammo, I was then set-up for loading with my choice bullets for hunting or target shooting or what ever I chose.

Have lots of fun ... and stay in touch with everyone.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not shot factory ammo in many years. Reloading is part of the sport, saves about 30% per trigger pull and if you stock up on supplies prevents prices issues from hurting you.

I do have Mil Surp 7.72X54R and 8MM Mauser bought five years ago when it was dirt cheap, like 18 cents a round.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Worth it in any case, but if you cast your own bullets it becomes doubly so. I can shoot 30-06 for 5-7 cents a round depending on the load. Yes, they are downloaded a little in deference to being cast lead, but are exceptionally accurate.
    edited November -1
    yall talk about shooting more and then reloading more like it's a bad thing[:D]
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will save most money by reloading rifle (by my calculations). Admittedly I haven't done it a lot, (I'm a newbie) but I'm totalling my costs for components--and I have purchased all the reloading gear and components, and am ready to go full scale on production this weekend.

I have calculated I'll save a lot on pistol in .380 acp, and then by reloading .45 acp. 9mm I still save, but less. Somewhere around 25% of the cost of factory ammo.

When I reload all 5 calibers I'm set up for (1000 rounds each .380, .45, 9mm, and 100 rounds each of .280 rem and .30-06) I find my overall savings is almost exactly 50% of what I would have purchased the CHEAPEST factory ammo for, for the same amounts. And my reloads are using good quality bullets (Hornady SST for both my rifles, and all FMJ, not plated, for pistol).

So I guess I say you WILL save, but less for 9mm than with other calibers.

Anyone else disagree?
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tazzer, Reloading IS cheaper. It allows you to become a better shooter, more knowledgeable about guns and ammo, save money per round and gives more satisfaction knowing you can make ammo more accurate and versatile than any factory can if you are willing to spend the time and effort reading the mostly free information available. A small investment (that can be sold later for more than new) is part of the deal. A little care and effort makes reloading addictive and a lifelong hobby resulting in much more than the money saved on cheap factory ammo. Good Luck.
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya sure its cheaper. Sorry I had to take a break and bust out laughing. Ya ya much cheaper.
    And this is just the dies/powder/primers side of the room. Bullets and brass on the other side and all the casting stuff downstairs. Much much cheaper hee hee hee
    We should get kickbacks from the supply houses for telling people this stuff

IMG_0273.jpg
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    way to set the bar just jump!

I'm reloading in the master closet because I'm stuck in a one bedroom apartment. FML....I need a house...

-JD
    edited November -1
    HI,...I'm JustC and I am a reload-aholic[:D]

101_1215.jpg

101_1216-1.jpg

the time spent is well worth the costs tazzer, the theraputic value is priceless
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course it saves money
    can't you see the pile of savings in mine and C's pics?? Savings piled to the cieling
    ROFLMAO

Honestly though. It keeps your mind sharp. It is therapeutic and it won't pickle your liver. Or rot out your lungs
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to save, buy components in large quantities to cut the per round cost. My reload cost per.223 round is around 20 cents if I lose my brass or 15.5 cents if I don't. I don't value my time since I'm working in my free time and the activity is good for me. I feel my loads perform better than the el cheapo generic stuff, too.
  • deerhunterrickdeerhunterrick Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bigger the cartridge the bigger the savings. Try purchasing a .600 NitroExpress round, it's something like $300 per box 20 round or $15.00 per round or you can reload 20 rounds(if you have the brass)of the same load for $46 plus powder and primer or about $4.00 per round loaded or less. Or find an obsolete cartridge and have brass made and loaded,,,wow!!! we won't even get
    into that realm. Bottom line, if you shoot something that is not factory available, overly hugh or you shoot a bunch, the more you reload the cheaper it gets.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    thanks guys, a firend is getting into it also anad we are planing on buying bulk lots of components and spliting them to start out.