In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Firing primer w/o projectile or powder

I should know the answer to this question after all these years but don't. I was firing empty cases (no powder or bullet) to get rid of the corrosive primers for reloading the brass, well, the 06 anyway. BTW, this is new military brass. I noticed that the primer on both the 8mm and 30.06 tends to jump out of the primer pocket. The 8mm is much worse but have not head spaced it yet. Is this normal? Thanks

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely normal. That happens every time you fire a primer - but with a full load, the case slams back afterward and re-seats the primer. With no powder, that doesn't happen.

Be doubly sure to clean the gun, whether with corrosive primers or not. Even modern primers produce a lot of stuff you don't want in your bore; it is normally flushed out with the powder gas.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1917watercooled
    I should know the answer to this question after all these years but don't. I was firing empty cases (no powder or bullet) to get rid of the corrosive primers for reloading the brass, well, the 06 anyway. BTW, this is new military brass. I noticed that the primer on both the 8mm and 30.06 tends to jump out of the primer pocket. The 8mm is much worse but have not head spaced it yet. Is this normal? Thanks

If you are going to fire the primer you will need to clean the gun because it is the PRIMER that has the corrosive salts in it. Why not just load the cases and shoot a bullet? You gotta clean the barrel the same either way?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would absolutely NOT have done it that way. Since it's already done, go through the entire process of cleaning your rifle including the bolt and inside of the receiver as you would for firing corrosive ammo. While you're at it, wash the cases in hot, soapy water and dry thoroughly.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1917-A1 I'd get rid of the primers in a can of oil or kerosene.
    Why put all that poison into your barrel and brass?
  • MMMarvisMMMarvis Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee makes a decapper that works great and fast, crimped or not hot or not. I use it in a lee hand press. Clean neat, Super fast and easy.

LEE Universal Depriming and Decapping Die 90292
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just punch them out with a regular resizing die. Wear safety glasses and turn your head each time the ram is raised.