In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finicky 22 hornet

moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
Any opinions on a good load for the 22 hornet? I have a ruger 77/22 hornet, 20" barrel that will shoot two touching and a flier. I have heared the hornet is notoriously finicky.
The only powder I've tried is 10-11 grns H-110 with several bullets, and it seems to like the 40 grn Sierra hornet the best. 34 grn anything seem to scatter.

Comments

• Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I had a Ruger 77/22 Hornet, it did the same thing. Tried everything. Sent it to Jame Calhoon in MT and he converted it to a 19 Calhoon. My Ruger now shoots 5 shots in 5/8 inch at 100 yards. Love it!
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of these about 5-6 years ago and it seemed back then people were somehow shimming the bolt together to keep the gun consistent. The ruger has a 2 piece bolt and it was being blamed for the inconsistency of the rifles. You might check in to that if you continue to have problems with it.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, my Hornet loads sound similar to yours: 10-12 gr. H110/W296, depending upon the bullet. Mine are very accurate in a 1885 Browning low wall, so there's probably nothing wrong with the loads.

So I think I agree with those who suggest your rifle may need some tuning.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    moretoys,

The fault is with the design of the rifle not the load. Ruger knows the problem and refuses to fix the bolt but there are other small touches which will make it a nice rifle to own. The Hornet is a terrific cartridge.

Take your rifle to a gunsmith that will work on the 77/22 and get him to fix the problem. This is not just a plumbing problem that the average homeowner can fix with a screwdriver and a hose washer.

If you want to ship the rifle off and get an ace primo accuracy package, send it to Accuracy Systems, Inc.

Best.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Inaccuracy in a Hornet can be due to rifle or ammo. The posts above covered the rifle half well.

Hornet cartridges have very small volume and very thin brass in the neck. Coupled with the use of very light bullets, these cause problems with premature bullet movement. Some bullets may stay seated until pressure rises normally, others may move a little bit and still others may jump considerably forward while pressure is rising.

In such a small case, that kind of movement creates a proportionately large change in case volume during ignition, which is not good. It also creates the same effect as grossly variable seating depth, also not good for accuracy.

The cures? First, always use a very mild primer to reduce blowing the bullet loose before the powder can ignite. The Rem 6? was designed for the Hornet/Bee and is very mild. Note: this is NOT the Rem 7?) If you can't get that primer, use a mild small PISTOL primer like the CCI 500. IMO, all Winchester primers are far too hot for the Hornet.

Next, use a powder that develops decent velocity at lower average pressure. LilGun is that powder. W296/H110 will produce good velocity, but at the cost of higher than wanted peak pressure, and also require a hotter primer, which is counterproductive in the Hornet.

Thirdly, use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. That thin case neck needs all the help it can get holding light bullets in place. Neck tension is simply too light without a crimp. Most Hornet bullets do not have a cannelure, so a roll crimp is inadvisable. The Lee creates a cannelure in the bullet while it crimps: a perfect solution.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help guys, obviously I have more than one issue.
    Both my rugers have slop in the bolt (one 2x the other, .013 vs .029)
    Also my old Speer manual (1970)denotes mag primers for H-110 loads, so that is a no-no to change. I heard elseware about the Rem 6.5 primers, but I only tried them with H-110. another no-no.
    Rocky can you explain to me how to powders that are side by side in a burn rate chart,(lil gun #61and H-110 #62)have such different pressures? and does'nt pressure=velosity?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I can!

First, burn rate charts may be the most useless and most misunderstood item in reloading -- especially the ones using a "one through xxx" format.

Now, pressure does equal velocity, sort of. More velocity does indeed imply more pressure WITH THE SAME POWDER. But powders can be formulated to change the shape as well as the peak of the pressure curve. Graphically, it is the total area under the curve that counts, not the peak. A powder that produces a steep rise and fall will produce less velocity than a powder that forms a slow rise and fall, even if they peak at exactly the same pressure.

In the Hornet (case shape DOES influence powder burn), H110/W296 is a steep rise/fall powder; LilGun produces a broader curve with much more area. A rough analogy is that one gives a punch while the other gives a strong push. The push is better. Velocity and case life can be dramatically increased.

In the gun, the push also produces less violent barrel vibrations.
  • Options
    RC3855RC3855 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is intresting to because I've got the same rifle and am just starting to load for it, but I've been told that what is good for one rifle may not be good in another any thought to this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's true in a general way. Rifles are unique; even two guns with consecutive serial numbers made minutes apart may shoot differently and have different bullet or powder preferences. However, those preferences won't be radically different. One would not prefer 4350 while the other preferred 4198, for example. One with 4350 and the other with RL-19 would be entirely within expectations, however.

I have two Rem 788 rifles in .223. Both have a 1-14" twist. Yet one dotes on bullets 50 grains and less while the other refuses to shoot well unless bullets are 55 grains or more. Both like Ramshot TAC.

Hornets are the same. In fact, the smaller the cartridge, the more finicky a rifle can be. But one recipe that LOTS of Hornet rifles like is this one: WW or RP cases, RP 6? primers, 13.0 LilGun, a 40 or 45-gr Hornet bullet and a moderate crimp. Because Rugers have that short rotary magazine, you may not be able to choose a pointy bullet like the VMax. Blunt-nosed bullets for the Hornet are better for such guns.
  • Options
    RC3855RC3855 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That reminds me, I have been huntin for some 50yrs. Reloadng for around 10. Got into reloading because some of my riles that I had would not shoot any better than a 4-5 inchs @ a 100. unlike my grandad and uncles theory take some paper plates when you go hunting, walk off about 50 steps and if they hit the plate it was time to hunt. I knew there had to be a better way, thats when I started reloading and now if a can't get my rifle to shoot so that a 3 shot group @ 100 are not touching its back to the drawing board. Now I would like to get in to this long range shooting which opens a hold new can of worms and I'm doing ok in it and its fun. But could someone inlighten me on twists. I'm going to shoot with an ar15, 24 inch barrel 1-8 twist with about a 65 or 70 gr bullet I think this would make a pretty good shooter but not sure.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    1-8 twist will be just fine with 65 - 70 grain bullets.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RC3855
    That reminds me, I have been huntin for some 50yrs. Reloadng for around 10. Got into reloading because some of my riles that I had would not shoot any better than a 4-5 inchs @ a 100. unlike my grandad and uncles theory take some paper plates when you go hunting, walk off about 50 steps and if they hit the plate it was time to hunt. I knew there had to be a better way, thats when I started reloading and now if a can't get my rifle to shoot so that a 3 shot group @ 100 are not touching its back to the drawing board. Now I would like to get in to this long range shooting which opens a hold new can of worms and I'm doing ok in it and its fun. But could someone inlighten me on twists. I'm going to shoot with an ar15, 24 inch barrel 1-8 twist with about a 65 or 70 gr bullet I think this would make a pretty good shooter but not sure.

[V][B)][8][:(] High Jack?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hijack.gif