In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm Rem Mag Bullets

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
Any specific favorie bullet styles for this caliber?

Example SP, HP, BT, Ball. Tip, Spit., ect.

I'm doing some load development and have used 162gr Hornady A-Max, but having trouble what else to experiment with. I have some BT's in Speer, Sierra, & Hornady SST's on order in the 130-150gr range.

I've heard some opinions about BT's that are on both sides of the coin.

Any opinions on bullets styles would really help me get this process going.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only 7mm bullet I load is the 162 BT Hornady. 7 elk 9 shots for me and as good or better for friends I have loaded for. My rifle and ammo shoot better than I can hold. If I were to go Africa I would consider those high price bullets.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need more info?

What gun model, barrel twist rate and length of barrel?

Is it a 7mm a magnum or like 7mm/08 ???
  • Options
    338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't go wrong with the old tried and true Remington core-lokt bullet. I load exclusively with the core-lokt in 6 different calibers and in 58 years of hunting with factory or handloaded ammo the core-lokt has yet to fail me. I use the 150 gr. core-lokt and IMR 4831 in the 7mm mag loads with great accuracy and results.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The right bullet style depends on what you plan to hit with them.

Any bullet will work for paper, but match bullets might be more accurate.

Varmints/predators generally call for lighter bullets with thinner jackets and softpoint, hollowpoint, or tipped profiles.

Medium game like deer would call for a mid-weight bullet in softpoint or tipped styles designed for game, not for paper.

Large game like elk need heavier bullets with stout jackets, some kind of expansion control, and softpoint or tipped profile.

Flatbase bullets are better except for extreme long range - unless the bullet only comes in boattail. The common misconception that boattails are better is what drives bullet makers to add that feature, not any overriding ballistic reason.

Nor do most shooters NEED a high-tech miracle bullet. A flat-base 150 softpoint of standard cup-and-core design will do for 99.9% of all North American hunting.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab

Varmints/predators generally call for lighter bullets with thinner jackets and softpoint, hollowpoint, or tipped profiles.

Medium game like deer would call for a mid-weight bullet in softpoint or tipped styles designed for game, not for paper.

Large game like elk need heavier bullets with stout jackets, some kind of expansion control, and softpoint or tipped profile.

Flatbase bullets are better except for extreme long range - unless the bullet only comes in boattail. The common misconception that boattails are better is what drives bullet makers to add that feature, not any overriding ballistic reason.

Nor do most shooters NEED a high-tech miracle bullet. A flat-base 150 softpoint of standard cup-and-core design will do for 99.9% of all North American hunting.

Very well said about right bullet for what he wants to hit?
    Need more info about what he is trying to accomplish! Is he shooting paper, watermelons, 55 gallon barrels, deer elk or varmits, and what works for accuracy in several other same type guns may not be correct for this one, that's just part of the testing process of reloading?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Remington 770 7mm Remington Magnum 24"bl 1-9.25"

Rocky,
    You've made a good example for me here.

I've read in reloading books about light, medium, and heavy weight bullets for the 7mm Remington Magnum. People make reference to a "light weight" bullet needing less twist and "heavy" needing more. A new person to reloading doesn't know a 130gr bullet isn't a "heavy" weight for 7mm Rem Mag(That was an exaggeration). I have some 162gr Hornady A-Max that says 1-8" twist on the box ,which ALOT of people say 160gr is the best for 7mm Rem Mag. Now i'm lost. The bullet manufactor calls for a twist that I don't think any rifle makers make (1-8 twist) for this caliber.I also don't know which exact weight falls into the 3 categories[V]

I have a 1-9.25" twist. What specific weight is the optimum weight for that twist[?]

Deer would be my main purpose. I would like to be able to load down for varnmints. I eventually have Elk on my bucket list, I think the 162gr bullets I have may work, but I honestly don't know. To be frank, i'll probly end up shooting more paper & milk jugs than i'll ever shoot fur with this gun.

I am one of the people that was under the assumption that all BT's where superior. It seems the manufactors push high B.C. bullets w/ BT design. Other than what the manufactors push for you to buy, you members here have gave me valuable input on components that work.

If you guys need any more input on my end please ask, this forum has really become a great resourse to learn from experenced shooters[:D]

quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots to cover from that post.

The A-Max is a very long bullet. It is length, not weight that determines the twist rate needed to stabilize the bullet. A boattail adds to length, and so does a long ogive and tip. That bullet has all three! It is also not intended to be a hunting bullet, but a long range target bullet.

For a 7mm Rem Mag, a 120-gr would be considered light, a 140-150 a mid-weight, and 160-175 heavy. There are a jillion 140 to 150-gr flat base softpoint bullets meant for deer at a comfortable 2800-2900 fps. That's all you need. In fact, if you launch them faster, you are liable to ruin a lot of meat if your deer pops up at 75 yards.

The brand new Hornady 8th Edition has 18 loads that hit 2800 fps and almost a dozen loads that hit 2900 fps with their 154-gr #2830 softpoint. ANY of them would be plenty for elk and obviously more than enough for deer.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your 1:9.25 twist will stabilize the 162gr a-max. I have used them quite succesfully on whitetail, but would never use them on elk.

a nosler 160gr accubond would fit both hunting purposes nicely.

my favorite 7mm mag pill has to be the 150gr NBT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky & JustC, that really clears up alot of doubts & questions I have.

My previous 150gr factory loads were listed at 3030fps and splattered the last deer I shot. It blew a hole in the hide about the size of a volleyball at the exit. That velocity probly explains the result[^]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my 150gr NBT load has done that same thing. keep in mind, that is NOT an "every time" occurance. I think it may hit bone close to the exit as well as has come almost apart already before hitting something near the exit, creating those explosive exit wounds. I most always see a fair sized hole, but rarely does it look like the "land mine effect" that you witnessed.

my 150gr NBT has accounted for a literal dumptruck load of deer on crop damage permits.

However, even though it is not recommended, the a-max has taken dozens upon dozens of deer for us in the 6.5mm, 7mm, and 30cal dia's. We use these more for longer shots and not close up shots.