In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet Selection

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I want to buy a bulk amount of the lead bullets for my Ruger GP-100 6"SS .357 mag.

The few places i've looked to buy at give .356,.357,.358 dia bullets.

How do you decide which bullet to choose [?]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy a small amount of each and see what your gun likes. .358 would be my first choice. Powder selection and bullet profile are also in the mix.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Bullets should be sized 1-2 thousandths of an inch over groove diameter in the bore. So if you have a gun with rifling measuring .356", then .357 or 8 is ideal.

In practice, the fattest bullet that will chamber in all cylinders without undue resistance will work fine as the forcing cone will size it to where it needs to be.

You get them undersized, you lead your bore.

I'd say to slug your bore with a soft lead egg sinker of about .365" diameter and measure the results, then purchase accordingly. Grease it well.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advise, i'll do that and find out the size
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use .358" in my Taurus revolver and Marlin Levergun. While bullet hardness plays a factor in leading control, proper fit is FAR more important. Some folks will claim a cast bullet needs to be under 1200 FPS to avoid leading, but that's not true. I push my cast bullets along at around 1500 FPS or so with no leading. My hardness is about 16 and I use a 158 gr bevel base bullet. It's all about fit.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use .358" in my Taurus revolver and Marlin Levergun. While bullet hardness plays a factor in leading control, proper fit is FAR more important. Some folks will claim a cast bullet needs to be under 1200 FPS to avoid leading, but that's not true. I push my cast bullets along at around 1500 FPS or so with no leading. My hardness is about 16 and I use a 158 gr bevel base bullet. It's all about fit.
    GH1[:)]