In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black powder burn rate?

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
Does anyone know the burn rate of black powder? Feet per second is what I want to know. I have looked around but cant seem to find it listed.

Thanks for any info.
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    about the same as lightning?? actually a low grade explosive?? I don't understand the question. Are you asking fps of projectile or a trail of powder?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have my copy of the DuPont Blaster's Handpont at the hospital but it lists the velocity of most explosives.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends on the powder, both granulation and manufacturer. Depends on compression.

Fast. 'Nough said.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I don't have my copy of the DuPont Blaster's Handpont at the hospital but it lists the velocity of most explosives.

Mine's at home too but IIRC black powder is the lowest level explosive with a burn rate of 12,000 fps.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black powder is a "surface burning" propellant. The rate at which it is consumed (burns) is dependent on the "grain size" and the composition.(purity of components, fineness of grind, uniformity of mix) These are ALL variables, thus the burn rate varies also. "Brown" powder which used partially converted wood was probably the fastest of the lot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some powder to dispose of and was asked how fast will it burn. I had no idea all I could say is its fast. [8D]

Yes looking for a FPS of a line of powder on the ground.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!! FASTER THAN YOU CAN RUN.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    WHOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!! FASTER THAN YOU CAN RUN.

[:D]
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kept thinking about that 12,000 fps rate, that's real fast! If you had a line of black powder 2 miles long it would burn up in less than a second...no can't be. That must be the rate of the burning gases expanding.
    I believe you wanted to know the speed of black powder burning along a line. Did some internet research and someone actually did some involved electronic timing measurements for what purpose? Any way, smaller grain quicker burn, speed varies between 130 centimeters per sec and 180 centimeters per sec. 100 centimeters = just over a yard. Like said "woosh"! Nothing as slow as the Hollywood movies show it where the powder burns slowly up to the keg while the hero escapes....
    If you want to dispose of the powder, water it down and spread it out, or use cannon fuse to ignite it.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It burns way faster than you can run , I've always been told that Black Powder is an Explosive , The blast Wave from most Explosives is 27,000 FPS and up ! Burning Black ain't the best way to dispose of it If you sprinkle it on the ground Mother Nature will take care of it !
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black powder does not detonate like smokeless. It is a surface burning class C (common) explosive. A line of it will act just like a dynamite fuse. Dynamite fuse is graded in FPS. It is not very fast. Why are you "disposing" of the powder? Black never deteriorates like smokeless unless it has been wet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay thanks guys.

The powder is getting trashed because it may be mixed with smokeless. The owner was not sure. It is not in the cans it came in so not really sure just what type it is.

My plan is to just make a string as long as 3 lbs will go and set it off with cannon fuse, should make a lot of smoke. I have an area where it will be safe and no fire hazard.