In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

home made tumblers built and pic added

anyone ever build there own tumbler [?] we are thinking about giving it a shot [:D][:D] we have a few old motors laying around and all the stuff that we think we can do it [:D][:D]

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, but nothing suitable for brass. Big stuff like angle iron, pipe etc., for de-burring/scaling .
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I used to toss a bag of rice in a pillowcase with the brass and chuck the whole mess in the dryer (fluff, no heat).
  • Options
    uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bite.

gunnut505....did that work? Seems simple enough.

-JD
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built one from the following parts. 5 gallon can, two rollers from an old wringer washing machine, a large pully, a 1/3 hp motor and belt. You will have to build a framework to mount the rollers. I used barley, but rice can be used also. Just keep the speed of the drum down.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    by the time you compile the parts and add your labor, you could have just bought one.
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    by the time you compile the parts and add your labor, you could have just bought one.

not for 12 bucks [:p][:D][:D] had all the parts laying around and had the time to tinker with it [:D][:D]
    it works great to
    20110513123206.jpg
    th_20110513123112.jpg
  • Options
    deerslayer3deerslayer3 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya, but it is nice to know you can build it yourself and not have to rely on anyone else.

Tazzer, I am having a hard time seeing where you placed the rollers at? Looks like you send some time planning this out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that thing looks like it's spinning at 5000RPM in the pic[:D] you sure all the brass and media isn't stuck to the sides of the bucket[8D]
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    that thing looks like it's spinning at 5000RPM in the pic[:D] you sure all the brass and media isn't stuck to the sides of the bucket[8D]

good [:D] we changed out the pully to a bigger one to slow it down [:p]

some 38 we cleaned today
    PART951305402758503.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looks like it works just fine.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's just going to rotate it might be a good idea to screw some ribs
    inside the drum to give it some agitation.
    A vibratory tumbler could have a slightly offset weight and not rotate the drum.
    A waterproof drum would allow liquid cleaner.
    I wasn't happy with a recently bought tumbler until I really loaded it up with 9mm brass. Small charges took a long time and didn't do a good job.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very creative [:D]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Works like a champ, and the rice leaves a nice smooth surface. Did it that way for almost 12 years.
    Be sure to poke the rice out of the primer holes when you're done.
  • Options
    starmaster1953starmaster1953 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm late to the party, but eons ago I made a tumbler using a 3# coffee can (remember honest 3# cans?), some aluminum plate, and old copier parts. It's low volume but it works for me.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's good to see that Rube Goldberg is alive and well !