In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.234 RCBS or .234 Rockchucker

fmlivefmlive Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
What if any was the difference between the cartridges? Any suggestions for a source of bullets? Thanks. [:)]

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fmlive,

I'm hoping that you just twisted a couple of numbers around and you really mean .243 instead of .234 as a cartridge name and bullet diameter. These are the ones that I'm aware of and the ones listed in Ackley's books.

The .243 RCBS by Fred Huntington is the 'improved' version of the standard .243 Winchester.

The .243 Rockchucker also by Fred Huntington is the .257 Roberts necked down and improved from the .257 Roberts.

Best.
  • fmlivefmlive Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No I don't think so. Referance {elsewhere} #7873104. RCBS lists dies for these calibers also. What I am really wondering is if I bid and won this rifle would I be able to obtain bullets anywhere? Or would I be looking at a Barrel change as soon as I shot up the existing ammunition?
    edited November -1
    fmlive,

I'm sorry but I guess I can't be much help on this one then. I've checked some of my books and a couple of excellent resources only to come up dry. Maybe some of the others can correct this.

The only thing I thought was the possibility that it is a typographical error and list makers just keep copying it even though it doesn't exist. Huntingtons even has it listed with a part number. Again, I'm not saying I'm the end all authority just that I don't see these as referenced but I do see both the .243's with a complete description and history.

You might try calling Huntingtons as they are on top of most of these wildcats and they list these with RCBS part numbers:

http://www.huntingtons.com/index.html

Two requests:

1) Please send me (e-mail in my profile) the Reference (a link if possible) from elsewhere so I can take a look, I'm real curious.

2) If you do get this resolved, I would very much like to hear what the answer is so I can add it to my notes.

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    fmlive,

I tried using your e-mail but it came back with a fatal error.

Thanks for the link! I went to blank to read the description to see if there were any airspaces in what he stated. There are a couple...

I am not a member of blank so if you are I suggest that you e-mail the person offering the rifle or post a message or whatever you can do with them. Ask him to accurately measure the shank diameter of one each of both sets of bullets with a caliper and report the diameter to you. This is easier than asking him to slug the barrel which he probably wouldn't do.

I know Pete Noreen personally and I don't recall him making bullets like those listed but again, I could be wrong.

Then ask him if the action is really a solid bottom, the whole action made in one piece with no magazine cut out or if there is just a filler piece in the magazine cut out held in place or glued in.

Let me know what he says on both questions and we'll see if we can solve this problem.

Best.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fmlive,

The round you are talking about is not a .23 caliber it is a .243 or 6mm. The auction you list is over on AA. ...it's a .243

NOBODY is making .23 caliber at the moment on a big time basis. What you are seeing is a typo. So, if you at least write to the owner of that auction you will verify that it is a a .24 cal and not a .23 cal.

As far as the differences nononsense already pointed them out. It is my suggestion that you give a better e-mail address and get some very good advice from a very knowledgeable person. -good luck
  • CallMakerCallMaker Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    23 1/2 Corson and .234 RCBS

The Corson is a necked down .243 Win and the .234 RCBS is a necked down .244 Rem
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We just pulled a 234 Sisk barrel off a 1938 model 70.
    Saw a picture somewhere in the last few days of a box of his bullets.
    He was a bullet maker and came up with the 23 caliber to reach out for varmits.
    edited November -1
    The bullets I have are Gardiner. 82, 76 and 68 grain, all open point. The rifle I had was a 23 1/2 Corson Ruger 77 with a Hobaugh(sp) barrel. Sad to say it was stolen from me several years ago. It was just the thing for coyotes....
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CallMaker
    The bullets I have are Gardiner. 82, 76 and 68 grain, all open point. The rifle I had was a 23 1/2 Corson Ruger 77 with a Hobaugh(sp) barrel. Sad to say it was stolen from me several years ago. It was just the thing for coyotes....

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hate not having a few firearms around myself, that I used to have. Although, mine weren't stolen, I sold them. The two that were once stolen, were recovered.

However, there were such things as the 23 1/2 Corson and there is such a thing as the .234 RCBS, an improved version of the .243 Win necked down to .23 cal. I googled them and found that they did indeed exist. What I can't find are bullets for them. They were developments from the late '60's-early 70's.

So, bottom line to this post that is now three four years old, is "good luck finding .23 cal bullets". If you don't reload you are going to be in a tough situation to find ammunition. The auction this referred to BTW was a .243 and it was a typo. I believe I remember asking the seller the question, myself.
    edited November -1
    sand,

Thanks, losing those guns was the pits.

Now I have all the 23 1/2 Corson stuff and no rifle. [:(]
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Corbin can make you bullet forming dies....