In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

crease in primer

Question...( I am a very new re-loader )I loaded up about thirty rounds of 45's to try out at the range. I noticed 2/3 of them had a crease in the primer. They were off center to the side of primer. What would cause this? The primers seem to be ok in the case. I have also loaded 300 rounds of 40 cal and no problems, and no crease. I fired three rounds of the 45's and they fired ok, but would not eject out of the pistol ( H&K 45 ). I am going to deprime all the 45's and start over. Any info would be helpful.
charlie

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the markings on the case? You may have some WCC or other cases that have crimped primer pockets. The crease is caused by you having to put to much pressure on your priming device to get the primer in the case. You could cause the primer to go off in doing so. Crimped primer pockets need to have the crimp removed after decaping.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The primer punch that is used to SEAT the primer has a sliver of metal from either another case or primer it is embossing each following primer Clean the primer punch face.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    The primer punch that is used to SEAT the primer has a sliver of metal from either another case or primer it is embossing each following primer Clean the primer punch face.

OR a flake of your powder [;)]
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for Perryshooter, have had this many times, no big deal to worry about just blow out the debris on your equipement.
  • Options
    SpleenrockSpleenrock Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cleaned everything up real good and ran another 25 rounds and no problem. I should have looked at primer punch first thing.
    thanks for your responses.
    charlie