In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rifle Cases

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
[img][/img]case3.jpg
Ring around top of case mouth. Is this from the resize die?
[img][/img]case2.jpg
Castle shape mark. Is this a crimp?
[img][/img]case1.jpg
Smashed case mouths.

I got these in the mail today. They supposed to be once fired WW Super HS, cleaned, polished, resized, and deprimed. Some are 2.490 long, this is the Minimum trimmed length for this case. All of my once fired are 2.500-2.510. 12 are damaged on the mouth bad enough I don't know if I can use them.

Comments

• laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a winchester crimp to me. I would say that they appear to be once fired being that there is not a visible changer in the mouths of the cases.

I would FL resize the cases, looks like they just deprimed them for resale.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 My factory 250 Savage had the same crimp from Winchester. Once fired most likely.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those cases are OK. Just run them through a FL size die, trim to trim length to even and square up the case mouth and deburr inside and out.
    It looks from the pics you posted that all of the cases are usable. (no neck splits or shoulder damage visible)
    Some cases you may take virtually nothing off of and some may be 6 - 10 thou. too long.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sized the cases with damaged necks and my FL die made them straight. All say one thing, they polished them till they shined like a diamond in a goats rear end.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on chamber a lot of cases will SHORTEN from shooting the first time, the brass flows to fill the chamber, shortening the case. The mouths being dinged up is OK, the brass is annealed and soft, the crimp is factory.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot some .308 Winchester the other day, and noticed the same segmented crimp ring on them.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only way around that factory Crimp is to buy New Brass !
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it will hurt me any. I just have never bought any ammo that had that crimp mark on it.

quote:Originally posted by oneoldsap
    The only way around that factory Crimp is to buy New Brass !
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh it's been there all along you just noticed it for the first time !