In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

50 AE using S&W 500 bullets?

rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
I see that the newer S&W 500's come in a better size variety than the 50 AE ever had. Can anyone tell me which of those S&w 500 bullets can be used in the 50 AE. I am guessing the 270 gr can be used fairly easily but I don't know about the others. I looked on Barnes website and found no info for those bullets use in the 50 AE.

Barnes makes 275gr, 325gr & 375gr [:0]

Comments

• Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting question... the diameters are the same at .500, so I'd check for bullet length and the shape of the nose as the primary factors to consider. If the shape looks like it would work (a more rounded profile over a sharp-shouldered one is obviously going to feed better in an unaltered auto)give the lighter ones a try. (I recall Speer made .50 AE with 325 grainers? I might be off on the weight)I'd also suspect that the S&W-proper bullets would be constructed to withstand much higher velocity than the AE-specific ones, so expansion would be limited at best, if there is any at all.

Whatever you choose to do, start low and work up. I can imagine the pressure curve might be different in the AE based on the jacket materials for the S&W bullets, etc..