In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

308 Win and heavy bullets

mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
I've got an Armalite AR10. I've been trying to get it to put them all in the same hole at 100 yds. I use it for deer hunting and just fun shooting. When I first got it, and was using cheap ammo it would not group at all. I tried a few loads and was unsuccessful at first. A friend of mine first suggested I go to hesvy bullets (as they are longer and stabilize more. That helped a lot. I am using Reloader 15. I get them to group to an inch or so, but I always get a flier that ends up 3 or 4 inches out, maybe on the 3rd to 5th shot. I find 40.7 or 43.5gr is working except for the flier.

I"m thinking of changing to another powder. Anyone else with an AR10? What powder would be best? Will powder help my flier?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.

Comments

• mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't mention I'm using 165gr BT Spitz from Nosler and 168gr Hornady A-max bullets. I realize not many of the books show Reloader 15, but my shooting buddy swears by it, so I thought I'd try it.
    To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might get better accuracy with a different bullet. Try some Sierra MK. Changing powders does not usually make large changes in accuracy.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mstrblaster,

Some additional information would be helpful.

Barrel Length?

Gas system length?

Brake or can?

Shooting platform? (what type of rest and where. Truck hood, bench, sand bags, bipod, etc.)

These are not bolt action rifles, they're gas guns.

Most AR10s will not group in the proverbial 'one-hole' ever. It's the nature of the beast. There are and always will be a few exceptions but there are not consistent one-hole shooters, just one group as a rarity.

I had one of the original AR10T (target model) which ate Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr. like a bandit. It was simple to get 1/2" groups off sand bags from a bench at 100 yards consistently. But to show agreement with my point, I bought two (2) more and neither would shoot anywhere close to that first one no matter what hoops I jumped through.

Post some more information and let's see if we can help you get some better groups.

Best.
  • mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has a 20" chrome barrel with a muzzle brake. I'm not sure how to measure the Gas system...

I can get the holes to touch on the paper at 100yds. I'm shooting off of a shooting bench using sand bags, and sometimes a Leadsled (or something simular).

I realize most rifles of this type aren't meant to be tac-drivers. Mine is awesome so far, I just want to get rid of the flier which only comes out one out of 7 or 10 rounds or so.

Thanks!!
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are more one hole rifles that there are one hole shooters.
    The violent operation of a semiauto has the possible side affect of lowering the accuracy depending on how the ammo is assembled. If you are checking your group size between shots you may be seeing a good groups at 2 or 4 shots and winging the next one due to loss of concentration.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4 to 5 inchs out is a bad flyer!

I've seen mis-matched hulls cause flyer, but usually not 4-5 inch flyers. I take care in preparing my hulls for best accuracy so as to help eliminate flyers! (matched weight, champhering inside primer holes, etc)

Also take notice of which direction the flyer is off target! If it's in the same direction, trying rotating the scope 90 degrees and re-test and see if the flyer shifts 90 degrees! If it does it's the scope![:(]

If the above don't help, look for a load that shifts your normal grouping toward the direction of the flyer and when you find such fine tune the load for best accuracy![8D]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's one misconception in the original post I should address: longer bullets are LESS stable, not more. The reason long bullets need a faster twist is to improve stability. Both the added length and the reduced velocity lower the bullet's stability. To get it back, you have to increase twist or velocity.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.