In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

paper shotgun hulls for reloading

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Didn't want to steal other thread, but "why" would anyone wish to use a paper hull to reload vs. a plastic hull? Back in the day, I was a pretty fair competition shooter and I can't remember anyone "wanting" to reload paper hulls. Yes I've done it, but never saw any advantage, and in fact, saw an advantage to the plastic due to the wads available and the control of the pattern.

Is it a fad? Or did a current champion use paper, so now everyone thinks it's better? Is there some new innovation?

Enlighten me.

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahh....the smell of warm wax on a crisp sundae morning.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A real advantage of paper shells is that the wax protects the chamber. After shooting AA plastic my Broadway would show rust in the chamber by the time I got home on a humid day, I had to wipe at the range. I had no such problem with paper hulls. Does plastic have a corrosive exudate or just hold sweat against bare steel? I don't know but don't doubt the result.
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted to find something a little different, same as the Magtech brass shells. Not for mass reloading, I know and like the advantages of plastic shells, but to have a little fun with something from the past is great. Thanks guys.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse:
    Plastic is hygroscopic, that is to say it can absorb water. Under pressure from firing, shotshells can release that water. This is why you'll find many rusty chambers in shotguns that are put away without cleaning and oiling.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    XXcross, I must disagree with your thoughts on plastic holding water. PP and HDPE only absorb .01%, whereas paper has high absorb qualities, that's why they coat with the wax, otherwise it would swell and not fit the chamber. The wax will come off in the chamber and "coat" it, whereas the plastic can "trap" moisture between the hull and the chamber "because" it will not absorb into the plastic.

Not really that important to this discussion, I just couldn't let it pass since I'm a Plastics guy.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have some Fed Champion's I converted to survival candles 30 years ago and the soldering iron powdered case conditioner. I still have AA from then too. The new AA HS I don't like so well. Last year we went out and shot a case of shells, all kinds, that my dad loaded 20 years ago. They had been sitting on my covered out side porch for 6 years. Everyone went bang just fine.