In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

views on molly coated bullets= yes= no =maybe

just wondering anyone have an opinion on molly coated bullets 223 & 308.

better then copper, are they any good , yes no.

how are they on the barrel

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were a hot iten ammong match shooters a number of years ago. The fad didn't last. It seems that the "molly" likes the steel of the barrel more than the copper of the bullet. The result is a lot of build-up of molly that is a pain in the * to remove. Just wasn't worth the effort.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

They were a hot iten ammong match shooters a number of years ago. The fad didn't last. It seems that the "molly" likes the steel of the barrel more than the copper of the bullet. The result is a lot of build-up of molly that is a pain in the * to remove. Just wasn't worth the effort.

+1...nasty stuff to try and clean. The worst was in the front of the barrel (throat) and then to clean it you had to push it all the way through. I've seen a number of .223 barrels the shooter gave up on cleaning and just got a new one...not using moly the next time around.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    for me.....maybe. some of my rifles like it, some don't. as to cleaning...no problem at all just a good brass brush and some kroil.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used moly bullets on both .22 Hornet (about 1000) and .223 (500-600). I used Marksman's Ms. Moly kit (with Load Potion No. 9!) to treat both bullets and barrels. Before and after, bore scope examinations showed both barrels to be slightly brighter and smoother.

Alas, it was difficult to determine if the improved barrel condition had anything to do with the molly bullets or if it would have occurred anyway.

My notes say the moly bullets were slightly faster: 150-300 fps, depending upon the load, but no more nor no less accurate.

There were no cleaning issues.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've tried them a few times. Other than being messy to handle I didn't notice any improvement or loss of accuracy vs. the same profile bullet without moly. Nor did I have any undue cleaning issues.

For someone who wants the very last fps possible, go for it. Otherwise, I'd not bother.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CHEVELLE427,

Molybdenum disulfide:

My experience with Moly goes back to its very first introduction into the field of competitive shooting. I had several protracted discussions with the bullet engineers at Norma regarding their testing and their findings before I committed to using these bullets in my barrels. Then there was the painful testing and experiments with Moly for the next couple of years in an attempt to quantify data and information. Unfortunately, that road led to a dead end...

MoS2 was an adventure in learning for the shooting public. As with most 'Wow-factor' discoveries, Moly was supposed to be the saving grace for barrel life. It was to have added length to a barrel's accuracy lifespan through its low coefficient of friction.

The proper method of use was to coat the bullets and then wax them to prevent carry over to our hands. The the barrel was to have been 'fouled' by applying a moly-suspension to the inside of the barrel and abrading it into the steel itself. In this manner, the barrel and bullets were prepped for the ultimate in low friction delivery.

I use some moly coated bullets for some very specific reasons and under very specific circumstances. For the most part though, I stick with naked bullets in naked steel barrels and I do just fine whether in competition or shooting for work or fun. To save a lot yammering and foolishness, I am supplying a couple of link which contain articles about moly and moly use:

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/moly.htm

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/molytech.txt

Best.

ADDED:

The newest adventure in coated bullets is:

Hexagonal Boron Nitride Powder (HBN)

"Hexagonal Boron Nitride powder has a structure and properties similar to graphite. It has become one of the most popular dry lubricants due to its lubricating properties and inertness to molten metals and salts. It is used in many different applications, especially as a mold release agent. Hexagonal Structure Boron Nitride improves the strength and holdability of the present powder composites."

This was originally used by David Tubb on his line of 6mm 115 grain bullets manufactured for him by Sierra.

This is a longer but somewhat rambling discussion of the origins and application of HBN:

HBN as a Bullet Coating

There are some other links at the bottom of this blog.

Best.