In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.444 Marlin & .356 Winchester

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
I've had a couple of 336 Marlins in the above chamberings for a few years and I am finally getting around to reloading for them. Anybody here done any such work with these "odd ducks"?

Comments

• no-bama in 2012no-bama in 2012 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only advice I can give is the 444 marlin should be loaded with the 265 grain hornady bullet only. Pistol bullets are too blunt and can cause high pressure because of being jammed in the rifling
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by no-bama in 2012
    The only advice I can give is the 444 marlin should be loaded with the 265 grain hornady bullet only. Pistol bullets are too blunt and can cause high pressure because of being jammed in the rifling
    [?][?]

I have extensive experience with the .444 and agree that the 265 gr is the way to go but question the statement about the 240 gr, which is a factory loading and with flat nose (not HP ) bullets is a viable alternative, and is shorter. Please explain.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    THE 265 GN FLEX TIP WORKS WELL IN THE .444.......BUT THE CASES HAVE TO BE TRIMMED SO THE OVERALL LENGHT WHEN CRIMPED WILL FEED THROUGHT THE MAGAZINE. THE HORNADY CASES FOR THE .444 ARE SHORTER.
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by no-bama in 2012

Wow that really limits the rifles potential. Try cast 300GC or even PB's You really are missin a lot by staying with jacketed stuff for this rifle.

This is just one of many of my 444's Yes its an octagon barrel
    444special.jpg
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    here is my .4x3; oal don't mater [:D]

rr1.jpg
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded some cartridges with the 265 gr. Hornady bullet. I got 2283 fps on the Oehler 35P chronograph. Accuracy looked promising; free recoil computed @ 25.5 ft/lbs which didn't seem excessive. Second group resulted in extreme vertical stringing. Discovered that magazine tube and clamp had moved forward. There's a groove in the barrel and in the magazine tube for the clamp screw and the screw had jumped those and moved forward, probably progressively. The fore-end screw lies in a groove, too, but that jumped also. This happened even though I put no cartridges in the magazine but single loaded them. This does not seem like a very good system for a rifle that produces some recoil and normally carries rather heavy cartridges in the magazine tube. Any suggestions?