In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Pyrodex

mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
Opened up a storage box that a can of Pyrodex from 1970's in it, it smelled really sweet. Has it gone bad? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldn't tell you on that one. I've always thought Pryodex never smelled like smokeless to me. Put a pile on the ground and light it and see if it fizzes good & fast.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I do not recommend putting on the ground and lighting. From experience (having lost eyebrows, lashes, and melted glasses)you may get a "flash" from powder that won't work in the gun.

I had some that didn't work in the guns (was quite old), but it flashed just fine with a match. It ended up in the garden.

Not sure how you can tell, but I can state how not to test it.

Best of luck (yes the brows and lashes did grow back)
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO: from experience!
    The only real test is too load up your black powder gun and wait for a big monsterous buck of a life time to appear usually within 25 yards and then put your trust in the OLD Pyrodex! If you don't believe this one just give er a try!

Next is too load it up in your black powder gun and test using as a practice powder and compare the vel and performance to fresh batch!

I've had good luck storing the 2F and 3F Hodgdons Triple Seven and Pyrodex pellets that are 5-7 years old by storing in a sealed zipped lock bag and stored so as to not be exposed to severe hunmidity, hot or cold temps.

I've not had any good results with trying to use Pyrodex powder that is older than approx 5 years going by the lot number or when I buy new and try to carefully store under controlled enviroment for long periods. Also trying to ignite Pyrodex with anything less than a 209 primer usually has erratic results, even in in-line ignition type guns and old pyrodex usually produces erratic velocity and ignition with 209's.
    I also pay attention to the lot numbers when buying powders from vendors shelves! I've seen vendors selling black powder types as new and the lot number indicate it's actually 3 years old or older!