In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best Ultrasonic Cleaner?

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
Ok, I've decided to stop washing with vinegar and soap. What's the longest lasting, best cleaning Ultrasonic cleaner.

No, I don't need a $1000.00 commercial cleaner either.

I've looked at some in places like Harbor Fr. and they look exactly the same as the Lyman & Hornady cleaners.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help ya; I use only the dry media style tumbler. But I can say this: the dry tumblers at Harbor Freight also "look just like" the good ones. Except that HF tumblers tend to catch fire.

Take that for what it's worth.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy once, Cry once, http://www.bransonic.com/
    Might keep you eye out on auctions. My self being in the semi-conductor industry you can find some $2000 units for Penney's.

Whats key, is no pin holes in the tank and all the transducers work.
    Unless you get lucky, Buy New!

Wanted to add "Bransonic" Has been the Industry Standard since the 1980's.

I made this method of cleaning brass popular with some gun shops in 1983.[:)]
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a commercial ultrasonic cleaner that would clean almost anything very quickly. Sadly, it died years ago. So I bought a pretty good one from Amazon, and it works, but it takes 4 long cycles to get the brass kind of clean.

If I had to do it all over again (and I may do it anyway), I would get a Thumblers Tumbler using stainless steel media.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

One of the moderators may be along shortly to confirm this. [:D]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambambam,

Actually, I was hoping that more owners of ultrasonic cleaners would be available for comment. The showing or lack thereof is unfortunate. But maybe if they read what has been presented so far, they'll endeavor to add some information.

I think ultrasonic cleaning is just fine for some folks. I have a large cleaner which is about 4 feet long x 18" wide and 24" deep. It's great for bulk or long objects but is counter-productive for obvious reasons when brass is a consideration.

All the hoopla regarding U-S cleaners has fallen by the wayside. It is a technique which has reached its limits and is falling off in popularity. Most of this is due to the chemistry and the time cycles, I think. I find that the Stainless Steel Tumbling Media and the Thumbler's Tumbler is an ideal solution for me considering the rather large volume of brass that I have to process each week. The results are consistently top notch and the process is brain dead simple.

There is nothing wrong with the U-S cleaners but I like the SSTM much better.

Best.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the beauty of them! Jewelry, brass, gun parts, anything that you wish to get micro clean in tough to get spots. I got lucky, the ones I have were rescued before heading to the dumpster for cosmetic blemishes. Brand new! The waste I had seen in the semi-conductor industry in the 80's and 90's was mind boggling!
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    www.midwayusa.com has the Lyman on sale now for $98.99. The reviews are very good on it.