In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer pockets too small

Bought a new bag of Winchester 30-06 brass and sized up about 20 of them for loading. Went to prime them...primer would not go in the first one...stuck almost half way out of the pocket. Thought it may be press priming tool so I broke out the hand priming tool. Same thing happened on the second one. Using Winchester WLR primers.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? What is the cure to this ill I'm having?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you chamfer the pocket a little?
  • Options
    McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF

No, but I'll give it a try.

Just wondering since this is the first new brass I've purchased...will I have this issue with all new brass?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by McDAccountant
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF

No, but I'll give it a try.

Just wondering since this is the first new brass I've purchased...will I have this issue with all new brass?

Hard to tell. [:o)]I am a brass snob[:o)][:D] and only buy Lapua these days. But to be honest, with other brass I do it anyway. Try a pocket reamer and a chamfer tool on a few and see how it feels to seat the primer.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently primed about 6-7 bags of new Winchester .308 without any issues. Maybe you got a bad batch.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last sack of Rem 8mm Mau had 103. The 3 extra had the flash hole so off center it would have broken the decapping pin or rod. Its the new quality control system "you buy it you throw it away". Actually considering how much brass these guys produce a slip up now and then is understandable. If the whole bag is toast write them I'll bet they will swap em out.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest trying a different brand of primers. I still have some of the old Winchester 8 1/2-120 primers and they are almost impossible to get into new brass. I haven't miked them but they must be larger in dia. than the newer WLR's. The older CCI 200 primers were a little on the "fat" side, too
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    McDAccountant,

"Just wondering since this is the first new brass I've purchased...will I have this issue with all new brass?"

No, you shouldn't be having the problem at all.

I suggest doing some accurate measuring first just to be sure there isn't an error with the primers. If you find no error then call, write or e-mail Winchester to tell them about the problem and seek a solution with them. I suggest calling Monday morning since you'll get immediate feedback and a resolution. They have always been responsive to me in the past with problems similar as this.

Best.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like a tolerance issue. Your new brass may have pockets at the small end of the allowable range, and (just your luck!) the primers are on the large end.

I'd try a different lot or brand of primer first. If you ream the pockets, they may end up too loose after only one or two firings, and then you'd need new brass again. Muuuuch smarter to replace the things you're going to replace every firing anyway!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been using these primers in other Winchester brass without issue, however, those have been once-fired+ brass.

I did try to chamfer the primer pockets...it worked well with 11 of the 20 brass I was using, primers went right in as they should. I did wonder about an "early wear" issue by doing this, as Rocky pointed out. With the other nine, I was able to get the primers in further than with the first attempt, however they were still well above flush.

Others, on another board, have suggested a pocket swager to help resolve this issue...good or bad idea?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is a bad idea; you buy new brass it should be within spec. Call Winchester and let them know of the problem. If you a good caliper you could measure the pockets to find out if they are too small.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just measured the primer pockets of the remaining 30 pieces of brass:

18 measured .208-.209
    12 measured .205-.206

Measured second bag of Winchester brass purchased from same place at same time...all measured .209 +/- .001. Also measured a 10-piece random sample of once-fired brass and all measured that same as this second bag of new brass.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like worn tooling. Sounds like the reamer or drill bit wore down and was not replaced in time resulting in smaller primer pockets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hence the suggestion of kissing the primer pocket with a chamfer tool. Burrs and imperfections can and will happen.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    McDAccountant

I'd also recommend the Monday morning telephone call to those folks.

"Cleaning-up or making brass as uniform as you can makes sense, especially for the accuracy buffs.

When you purchase new brass though, there ought to be more uniformity and to specs.

Give them the opportunity to do what's right by you.

I've had some surprisingly good satisfaction giving the folks the feedback information, and the opportunity to do their end right.

Let us tomorrow how it goes, OK?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alan is right: the folks at WW will want to know about this. Brass is normally produced on more than one production line simultaneously, and if the tooling on one of them is (or was) out of tolerance, any info you can provide will help them prevent such a thing in the future.

In return, you may be surprised at their generosity.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality control at WW is the pits. I have had to return brass that was not loadable.
    You may try swaging the pockets with an RCBS tool.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Gee, makes me glad I have a few buckets of USGI 30-06 brass. [:)]

If it were mine I'd see if it would ream/swage to tolerance. Then again I have the tools to do this. I'd not bother sending back just one bag if it did, but if it wouldn't I'd sure call them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bought the RCBS pocket swager die...worked like a charm. Primers go in as they should now. Also bought a Lee ram prime. Took the cases that had the primers "sticking out" and was able to push them into the primer pocket fairly easily.