In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 Luger Case Stretching

je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
Got a 30 Luger I've thought about loading for someday. Do the bottle shaped cases stretch like rifle cases?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have never reloaded 30 Luger but even thou this is a fairly fast pistol cartridge I suspect that the pressures are much lower then Necked rifle cases and the diameter of the Neck not that much smaller then the Body would combine to have a very small chance in case stretching [:)]
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have reloaded .30 Luger for (I can't believe it!) over 40 years. So far I have never had to trim cases due to stretching. I have trimmed cases to obtain uniform case length among varied cases, for uniform seating and crimping. I actually don't shoot the pistol a lot, but there were years when ammo was difficult or impossible to find.
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I might be more likely to reload for it if I don't have to hassle with case trimming
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded a good bit of 30 cal Luger and never had a problem with cases.They load very easily.
    The American Rifleman had a nice article on reloading the 30 Luger and some loads were pretty hot. The author said he successfully varmint hunts prarie dogs with a 6" Parabellum (not Luger).
    The AR article was by John Kronfeld, published Sept 1998.
    Loads were for 4,5,6 & 8.1" barrel lengths.
    1490fps with an 85 grain bullet from a 6" barrel is moving pretty good. It's as fast as some 7.62x25 Mil Surplus I've chronographed from a Tokarev pistol.