In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Metal Targets

keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
I am interested in setting up some metal targets on my property. I am somewhat concerned with safety with doing that. I know that it is done a lot but I would like some input. The area that I would put the targets
would be safe even if shots would be wild.
Specifically I'm concerned about ricochets mainly back at the shooter.
Thanks

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard steel, T-1 or other hard steels (AR400-500) 3/8" or more will demolish an impacting bullet, turning the kinetic energy into heat and fragments. For lead pistol bullets 20-25 yards is a safe minimum distance. For rifle you should stay at 100 yards or more to reduce impact velocity. The idea is to stop impact craters in the steel, it is the craters and dents that catch a bullet wrong and zing parts of it back at you.

Setting the plates at an angle will drop the bullets into the ground.
  • keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Hard steel, T-1 or other hard steels (AR400-500) 3/8" or more will demolish an impacting bullet, turning the kinetic energy into heat and fragments. For lead pistol bullets 20-25 yards is a safe minimum distance. For rifle you should stay at 100 yards or more to reduce impact velocity. The idea is to stop impact craters in the steel, it is the craters and dents that catch a bullet wrong and zing parts of it back at you.

That makes very good sense and I have thought about those ideas before. I have seen many vidios on line and the steel was cratered and that's why I asked.
    Beside that hard steel rings good
    Thanks
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keith,

I have about 60 steel targets that I use regularly. These are permanently set up on my little shooting range. I greatly prefer the steel target to paper. I have both "hard" and "softer" steel. Almost all of mine are set up to they will move when the bullet impacts them (swing). While I mostly shoot revolvers, I also shoot various single-shot "hunting" handguns.

My targets vary a lot in size -- from 2"x2" diamond shapes to a 12"x12" square. In addition, I have several cut in the shapes of various animals, including a 1/2 deer sized bull elk (this is the only one that does not swing).

The closest targets are about 50 yds and the most distant are about 250. I have never had a bullet come back toward the shooter when a swinging target was struck. These targets have had thousands of rounds fired at them.

Best.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

What he said....

Plates handing from log chain do well with rifle bullets at 100yds+
  • keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duh. Why didn't I think of the logchain idea myself. Let gravity do the work of turning the target back to facing you.