In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 lapua

russ735russ735 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
What are some of the pros and cons here? They seem pretty close in ballistics.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    russ735,

The easy part is cost:

Lapua cases run about $89/100
    Hornady cases run about $61/100

These prices will vary significantly depending on who has stock and when they got it. New prices just went into effect but some sellers are still honoring lower prices on their remaining stock from their previous order. Others are gouging without mercy...

Bullets will obviously cost the same for both cartridges.

Consider both case designs to be slightly improved when compared to more standard older cartridge cases such as the .260 Remington. The cases have straighter sides and 30 degree shoulders. In this manner of improvement, the Creedmoor case hold the same amount of water as the .260 Rem. (53 grains) but it's shorter. The Lapua is shorter yet and only holds 47 grains of water.

Being shorter and running through short action magazines allows the bullets to be seated out a little further freeing up some of the necessary powder space.

An important factor for some is the size of the flash hole. Lapua's labs tested both standard and the smaller flash hole, opting for the smaller after tests showed some increase in accuracy. Hornady stayed with the standard size and apparently is no worse for that decision.

Hornady brass is only O.K. as far as quality is concerned but they chose to run their cartridges at a slightly reduced pressure level which does not tax the cases as much as the higher pressures often do.

Lapua runs the x47 at the top end for their tests, very nearly 5,000 PSI greater than the Creedmoor. This is also where the small flash hole comes into play.

I shoot both in several configurations but for different reasons. I also shoot and test the .260 Rem. for reasons of comparison as well.

Here is a series of articles featuring all three cartridges:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

Best.
  • Options
    russ735russ735 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about a creedmoor and buying lapua 22-250 brass and doining the cream of wheat fire forming. I've used hornady brass with great results, but you really cant beat lapua. It's worth the extra cash to me.
    thanks again
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now, that Lapua is making .260 Brass, I'd stay with the .260. Brass is very expensive @ $100-$120.00 for it. But that isn't a whole lot more than 6.5 Lapua. The 6.5 Creedmoor isn't near as bad price-wise, but isn't near as good quality-wise. I've read the article by Zak Smith before and pretty much agree with what he says about the three. It was the first time I read his 2009 update on it. I don't own any of them but have shot them.

I know you are asking about the two. Have you considered the 168 in 7mm-08 it gives equal wind drift as the 140's in 6.5mm(2930) at 200 fps slower(2730). Much better barrel life. Although ideally, at this point you would have to neck up .260 brass. I neck down .308 brass for mine.

-Just some thoughts for you.