In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions

Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
If I wanted to put together a decent setup to reload 9mm and .40 starting from scratch how much $$$ out of pocket would I be looking at....ballpark.

When you break it down how much can you save per 1000 rounds reloading both of those calibers?

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can take a variety of approaches to getting started in loading. Often you can find a used press either on the auction side of GB or locally. You want to make sure all the moving parts move freely and aren't bent or heavily scratched. Manufacturers often sell starter kits which contain press, scale, lube pad and a set of dies at a discount from buying each part individualy. RCBS, Hornady, Lee and others all make good quality tools. It is often a matter of personal preference or the preference of the person you learn from as to which brand you choose. In progressive units I like the Dillon and in single stations I use RCBS, but this is just my choice over the 40+ years I have been loading. Die sets can run from $35 to 75 or more depending on what you choose. For the two pistol cartridges you list I would suggest you consider carbide dies, they remove the need to lube the cases and do a very good job of sizing the brass. Be sure to get at least one good loading manual to give you guidance on procedures and load data. Figure $30-50. Not counting the cost of your labor you can expect to save 40-60% over the cost of commercial loads once you have your brass. You can often find 9mm (I'm assuming Luger) and 40 S&W brass for sale on the auction side. Enjoy the new hobby.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=498276

You will save about 30-40% depending on how much you shoot. The more you shoot the higher the percentage of savings.
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe a more pertinent question would be how much shooting would I need to do to justify the return on my investment? And what equipment would I be able to justify.

I shot a Browning Citori all guage skeet. For the 12 ga, I was shooting approximately 2500 rounds a month. For the 20 ga I was shooting approximately 250 rounds a month. For the 28ga and 410, I was shooting approximately 100 rounds a month.

Since for shotgun, you need a press for each, I have a progressive for the 12 ga, a manual for the 20 ga, and no press for the 28 or 410.

For pistol/rifle, since one you buy a press(usually), you can change calibers by replacing the dies and shellholder, the formula is different, but I hope you see what I mean.

I shoot primarily 9mm, 40S&W, and 44 magnum. I shoot maybe 10 -20rds of 300 Weatherby a year. It wouldn't be cost effective to get a press for just the 300WM, but since I have all the equipment except the dies and shellplate, it was worth it to buy the dies and shellplate for the 300WM. Even that investment took three years to justify at $45/box though.

Edit 07/26/11 08:54

Of course you will find you save no money because you will be shooting more and eating the savings up in more powder, primers, and bullets.

Like the wife said: I saved $300.00 today buying clothes. But I spend $600.00 doing it.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can do all your reloading on a Lee Reloading Press (cost about $30). Lee dies come with the shell holder.
    You can get a Lee powder measure and a good (look at the $70 and up) reloading balance. For straightwall cases, that is all you need for awhile.
    Even when you buy a better press, that little press will still be good for odd jobs.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider what it costs right now for componenents vs. what a press set-up costs. For pistol, powder is cheap. You can almost always get more than 1k rounds out of a pound for those two cartridges. At $20 a pound on average, that's $.02 per round. Primers still run @ $.03, Bullets run about $.20, (cheaper if you buy bulk) cases you can find anywhere for nothing or next to nothing. If you do buy them they'll run out at a cost of about $.05 each before you have to throw them away. That is if you load normally and not super hot with them.

So, that all comes up to about $.30 per bullet. Times 50, as that's what comes in a box, and you get $15.00 per box. Remember, that's good ammo, using good bullets, tuned to your gun. The cheapest off the shelf stuff I can find right now is FMJ stuff, @ $18.00 a box. When you get the hang of reloading you will find your stuff can run with the same off the shelf brands that bring closer to $25.00 per box or even $30.00. So, for just something to run through your gun, you save $3.00 a box. For the same quality as what you can make, it will save you $10.00-$15.00 per box. 1000 rds. = 20 boxes. Either $60 to just run stuff through the gun or $200-$300 per 1k for quality. For the serious reloader, that press will pay for itself within a year. For someone running a shooting/training facility, it will pay for itself within a month.

I would advocate as Bpost has, that you not go with a progressive to start with. That is unless you want to seriously get into the reloading continuously. It would then make sense that you get someone, (hire them if you have to) to show you how to work the progressives until you are good enough with them to do it yourself. That would be the only way I see it making sense to start with one. Otherwise, get yourself organized and run a single stage like I do, and get 400-500 loaded at a time. It takes longer, but I don't have the cost associated with a progressive.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only been doing this a few months, but for .380, I can make a box for $5.50, so 1000 would be $110.00.

For 9mm, I can make a box for $6.00, so 1000 would be $120.00.

For .45 ACP, a box costs me $8.50, so 1000 for $170.00.

Commercial ammo I find runs $15-22 per box for .380, $10-15 for 9mm, and $18-25 for .45 acp.

This means I save about $200/1000 for .380, or $120/1000 for 9mm, and about $240/1000 for .45 acp.

It adds up quick if you shoot a lot. If you don't you won't save as much. But on the other hand I find my ammo to be more accurate than factory, and it's fun.

It cost me about $1600 to buy all the gear to reload, including press, reloading bench, dies, tools, storage boxes and ammo containers, books, etc. This was for five calibers. If you're only doing two calibers it won't cost as much.