In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 Sig Brass from .40 S&W

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
Any of you folks ever used .40 S&W brass for your .357 Sig? Is this a HUGE pain?

Just wondering. My buddy is a an officer that brings me all the range brass he can. It started as a way to get brass for the AR, and ended up in an overloaded collection of .40 S&W brass.

I've been considering a .40 S&W or .357 Sig here relatively soon. I was going to go with a Glock and purchase the other barrel. This way I could go for both.

If the process is not tooooo bad, I have enough brass to reload plenty for either caliber. I know the last I looked, .357 Sig was at a premium in my neck of the woods, so I thought this would be a good way to stock up a lot of ammo.

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried it, cases come out too short in the neck. I use Sigs with BarSto .357 Sig barrels so the case headspaces on the shoulder not the case mouth. The rounds use the same BASIC case and head size, but the .357 is a tiny bit longer and that gives the neck enough length to hold the bullet properly. The .40 itself is a good cartridge, but you need to use brass specific to the round if you are going to a switch-barrel format.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I think there was a topic on it a while back. If I remember right, it leaves the neck very short.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I was looking for an old post, but couldn't find it.

As far as case length goes, I guess a REALLY bored guy could size out the .40's enough so that when they went through the .357 die, they'd be long enough.

Well, that's talked me into the .40 S&W. I love spending time at the press, but that may be a little tooooo much time.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a SIG compact pistol and it came with the new 40 S&W barrel, 3 magazines and a slightly used 357 SIG barrel. Since the mags will take either cartridge, I'm all set. I bought 1X fired Sig cases from a guy in Florida at a very good price. If interested, I can PM his name, etc.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are buckets of once-fired .357 Sig cases on the auction side, just get some there and save the headache.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    357 SIG necks are too short as it is.