In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Difficult 223 brass?

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
I've sized a fair amount of 223/5.56 brass. And never really had issues. Almost all goes through an AR(MSR) rifle. And functions just fine.

Now, I've used Winchester, both commercial and Nato. Federal, again both Commercial and Nato. I also have some FNB with Nato cross. And a few Remington, I traded my UMC for other stuff. All works well through dies, the FNB was maybe a little thicker/ harder to go through press. But went through okay and functions fine.

Now the problem. PPU brass, Private Partisan, fired through my rifles, a MSR(AR type). I can't size that for nothing. Using Hornady Unique sizing lube. It is very hard to re-size. Usually deforms the rim, so I know I'm close to sticking the brass in the die. And still won't feed through AR. Also, has a slight rim where the die stops on the body.

Any ideas? Just when you think you know what your doing, something like this happens.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Redding Sizing die wax. Never had a problem like that with brass fired in my gun. Maybe if it was run in some Loose belt feed hot expanded chamber. WW SuperSpeed was good brass. Are you sure your rifle is still OK?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skyfish,

That stuff, in every caliber I think, needs to be annealed before you use it. It's good enough stuff to keep using, but it's purty hard when it comes to resizing. Also, when Graf's offers cases of a particular caliber, that's who they go to, Privy Partisan.

Overall, I've had good accuracy. You just need to know to anneal first when the sizing goes like it is for you.

That is also one reason many will tell you to go with lapua when you can. It's ready, it's accurate, it's done RIGHT! It shouldn't take a FIGHT! to get a batch of reloads out.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: has a slight rim where the die stops on the body.
    The web area may have expanded from an over pressure factory loading of the Private Partisan ammo. The web area will not spring back like the rest of the case body. Most full length sizing dies will not contact the web area on sizing. You could try a small base die or just scrap the brass. Take measurements of the web area of all your brass, is Private Partisan larger? cartridgetypes.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's obviously the ppu brass since you aren't having that problem with other brands.

I avoid the ppu head stamped brass like the plague, and it always goes in the trash can. For my 357,it's so soft that it won't even hold the bullet when roll crimped, and I had to use a 38 super die instead. I never have that problem with other brands.
  • Options
    krazy4kragskrazy4krags Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you using smsll base dies? The AR/M16 chambers are cut very close to specs and are known for their tight/finicky actions. IF there is growth on the "web" as the previous post noted, then the best way to resolve this is with the use of Small Base Dies. They size the case closer to the rebated end. These are a good investment anyway as reloading other brands of brass, over time, I have encountered this same phenomenon. It took me about 3-4 reloads with good remington brass using my regular dies to figure this out. Lots of frustration and words that can't be posted were also used, too. Do yourself a favor and hunt down some small base dies. I know RCBS makes them and I am sure they can be found in other brands as well.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it .223 or 5.56 brass? 5.56 brass resized in a .223 die and then run thru a .223 chamber will give you problems and can be dangerous due to the thicker wall on military brass.

Rule of thumb-
    .223 brass in a 5.56 Nato chamber ok
    5.56 brass in a .223 rem chamber not ok. (if your a casual reloader and trust me, 5.56 in a .223 can be a pain in the * if not done right).