In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need info on buying a new elec powder scale?

Terminator69Terminator69 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
Im looking to purchase a new electronic powder measuring scale and was wondering which one is the best and Fastest? Any info greatly appreciated, please let me know why you think that also. and pro's and cons of the top ones would be great also.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you mean a digital powder dispenser, I have both the original RCBS/PACT and the current Hornady. I don't know if the new RCBS would be better than the Hornady, but I am completely happy with the latter.

If you are new to the digital dispenser scene, avoid the Smart Reloader machine. The instructions are gibberish and setting it up each and every time is tedious at best.

Only the PACT two-piece model is made in the US, if that makes any difference to you.

If you are referring to just a digital scale alone (not with a dispenser) then any digital scale is probably good enough. Dillon, Hornady, RCBS and others sell units with their names on them - but they don't manufacture them. Berry's Manufacturing DOES make theirs, with as many US-made parts as possible in them. Damn good scale.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I currently have the RCBS Charge master, I am happy with it! The Lyman unit is also good.
  • Options
    Terminator69Terminator69 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I meant a digital powder dispenser, sorry if I confused anyone,
  • Options
    kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for fast, you do not want the Lyman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you are a loading block kind of guy - the kind who charges all the cases and then seats all the bullets - you will not like ANY digital dispenser. It takes 15 to 20 seconds to dispense a charge.

If you let the machine run while you seat a bullet in the previous case, you'll love it. It will just about keep pace with you.

If you currently use a measure, a trickler and a scale to weigh every charge, you'll REALLY love a digital. It will dispense and weigh every charge, show you the exact weight in big bold numbers, and will even warn you if the weight went over. And there's no way to get a poise weight in the wrong notch so that you actually dispensed 15 grains when you thought you dispensed ten.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would love one but I just don't shoot enough rifle to warrent purchasing one that said I have heard good things about both the Lyman and RCBS models

Pact also makes one that has descent reviews
  • Options
    NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A month or two ago I asked a similar question. On Rocky's recommendation I went with a Hornady. So far I have loaded around 130 rounds with it using ball, stick, and flake powder. All worked great, had a few issues with stick going over till I re-read the directions and figured out how to increase the amount of powder the machine trickles.

I was trying to decide between the RCBS and Hornady. I ended up choosing the Hornady because it had less features. I did not see a reason to save charge weights in memory. Guess I am old fashion but I like going back to my notes or reading a book to see the correct weight and then physically putting that weight in the machine each loading secession. Plus the Hornady was a bit less expensive.

I was the use a measure, a trickler and a beam scale to weigh each charge kind of guy and Rocky is correct, I love digital. I did double check the electronic scale by reweighing them on my balance scale and every one checked right on for the first 30 rounds or so. Beam scale just stays on the shelf now.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Operating a Press on the same bench that you have your Dispenser on might interfere with your Scale . I have a rugged bench and I can't get away with it !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nate, I'm delighted that your choice makes you happy. It is indeed a very nice machine at an attractive price.

You do have to learn not to bang the press handle or drop bowling balls on your bench while dispenser is working, but if you are less violent than a chimpanzee you should have few problems. (Edit to add: and that is NOT a slap at oneoldsap! No offense intended.)
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the RCBS Chargemaster. AND there's a $50 rebate right now.

The Chargemaster is reliable, easy to operate, and RCBS customer support is outstanding.

I had a Chargemaster fail on me a month ago...(the trickler came loose from the motor gears). I mailed it back to RCBS and they sent me a new one in ten days. No questions asked.

Good customer service, in my opinion, is worth a LOT.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    I second the RCBS Chargemaster. AND there's a $50 rebate right now.

The Chargemaster is reliable, easy to operate, and RCBS customer support is outstanding.

I had a Chargemaster fail on me a month ago...(the trickler came loose from the motor gears). I mailed it back to RCBS and they sent me a new one in ten days. No questions asked.

Good customer service, in my opinion, is worth a LOT.
    All I've ever had is grief with their customer service despite the common statements to the contrary.

It's a good unit though, no knocking that.