In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 acp Virgin Brass

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
I have 200 pieces of virgin federal 45 acp brass. Never loaded for a 45 acp before (or any semi automatic hand gun for that latter). Can i just prime, charge, and bullet seat and im done with these cases? or do they need to be resized and everything else?

Is there a different trick or step to handgun reloading?

Thanks!

-Joe

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Just prime, charge, seat and taper crimp the bullet.
    Read the sticky on taper crimping above [;)]
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would need to bell the case mouth. You could try 5 without sizing. Measure the area over the bullet before & after seating. If the brass has expanded on seating a bullet by .001" or more, you should be ok. I have never tired it because its not extra work on a progressive press. Its always best to follow standard reloading practices.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I personally resize and bell the mouth of every round of 45acp I have ever reloaded somewhere around 300,000 rounds . First off MAYBE if the brass is VIRGIN and never shot in a pistol IT MAY work in fact if it is being reused in the same pistol it MIGHT still work . However most 1911 45ACP come with a 16&1/2 pound recoil spring. if the case drags at all going into the chamber and the chamber is UNSUPPORTED like some Glocks and KIMBER II. Then the slide may close just enough to let the trigger work and hammer fall RESULTS COULD be a KABOOM[V][:(!][xx(][:(] My advice DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE . Or if you plan on doing this without dies anyway make out a will leaving me all your guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So how do I bell the mouth? I bought a set of rcbs dies, they are a resizing die, a bullet seating die, and another die that isn't labeled. It is the 45acp/ar/gap carbide die set. I know how to reloading bolt action rifles bottle neck cases , never a semi auto straight walled pistol before. I was hoping it was the same steps but I am way off. Is the process the same? Are there extra steps?

Thanks a lot! I have a Kimber Target coming in and I can't wait.

-JD
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uni82
    So how do I bell the mouth? I bought a set of rcbs dies, they are a resizing die, a bullet seating die, and another die that isn't labeled. It is the 45acp/ar/gap carbide die set. I know how to reloading bolt action rifles bottle neck cases , never a semi auto straight walled pistol before. I was hoping it was the same steps but I am way off. Is the process the same? Are there extra steps?

Thanks a lot! I have a Kimber Target coming in and I can't wait.

-JD

uni82,

Did your die set come with instructions? New or used die set? You really need to have the instructions and a reloading manual if you are new reloading to straight wall cases. The illustrations and step by step processes are valuable for learning to load properly.

The basic process is the same, but there are additional steps. First die re-sizes/removes spent primer in fired case, second die is to bell the case mouth, and third die is seat and crimp. I highly suggest you get a manual and instructions since you are new to this, if you don not already have these.

My personal opinion on the new Kimber is to shoot some factory ammo through it to make sure it functions properly prior to using reloaded ammo. This will give you some experience with your new gun as well as empty brass for loading later. I would caution against new gun, reloaded ammo, and new to reloading all in one setting. Again, this is my personal opinion, but I feel this will be helpful starting off. Safety concerns being most important.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your help! I have been reloading rifle cartridges for a while now (about 4-5 years) and just purchased my new Kimber (in the mail hopefully be here next week). I will be buying some bulk ammo to cycle through it first to get use to it first.Reloading will be a new experience for a straight walled case, and I will be pretty excited to do so. Bought the dies brand new at RCBS. there are instruction but their are not very clear. Very generic non detailed. I will figure it out and you tube is a great visual tool. Thank you guys for all your help!!!
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:So how do I bell the mouth? One die in the set will have inside it a 45acp expander.(Old RBCS 357 in photo) It will expand the case to the correct diameter for the bullet and bell the case mouth. expander_1.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sweet Thanks guys!!! I will try it out! I'm going to buy a box of 250 soon to break the barrel in and get the gun shooting the way I would like to right before I start reloading so I don't have too many variables. Again you guys are awesome for your almost limitless resources!

-JD