In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New reloader

vette81vette81 Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I am new to reloading and recently read something that said a person should not reload when it is raining outside due to the humidity difference. My place where i relaod is in the house where temperature is pretty much constant so should i worry if its raining outside or not?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    So for Christmas I received the Rock Chucker Supreme kit and cannnot wait to get reloading! However, before I press round one I am going to become good friends w the reloaders manual (Speer manual).I understand the process and know it is a matter of taking your time and being consistent to work up a load for a gun.

In the meantime I would like to get my brass cleaned up so when I am ready I have that part ready to roll.

My question on cleaning with a vibratory tumbler is what media to use and how long on a batch do you let it go? I have ordered a Cabelas branded tumbler that is on the way as I type!
    Thanks in advance to the great people of GB!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just won an auction for the Hornady Lock and Load kit on the auction side. I've been kicking the idea around for a couple years and finally decided to get started.

I read Bposts sticky so I'm probably going to order the abc's of reloading book tonight.

With the kit I have is there anything else (tool wise) that I will need to get started? I know I need dies and the components. I'm not sure what caliber I will start with. Is it better to start with pistol or rifle? I'm thinking maybe .357 or 44 mag. I have revolvers and rifles in both calibers.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would like advice on buying a starter kit to get back into reloading. I use to reload some years ago, just mainly pistol ammo with a Lee press. Would like to get back into it and do some pistol and rifle rounds.[:)]
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS Rockchucker!
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    RCBS Rockchucker is great.
    I've had mine since the 70's.

I figured I'd like another press
    to cut down on the die changes and
    I bought a Lee classic press.
    Well, The Lee has an adjustable
    handle for length as well as mounting
    the handle on either side.

Also it has a nice tube that catches
    the spent primers.

If I had to do it again.I'd buy
    2 lee classic presses.Very strong
    and some great features

Ron
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy good used gear. Put the saved money towards supplies. Shoot more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Im in the process of building a new shop and have big plans for getting back into the reloading scene. [:D]
  • Options
    floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went with a basic Lee single stage kit, came with almost everything for getting started. Got it for around $100, then added a $45 Lee Carbide 4 Die set. I've added several other things over time like a digital scale, which really helped get down to better grain measurements for me.

Either way, have fun. [:D]

The guys here on this board were a HUUUUGE help, so never be afraid to ask. [:p]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Having both the Lee Classic Cast and the RCBS Rockchucker on the bench, I prefer the Lee for 3 reasons.

1. 3 point attachment; the RCBS has 2 points for attachment in line, putting stress on the bench at that point.

2. Easily adjusted handle for length and side.

3. Spent primer removal tube.

In terms of the quality of the press itself, they're about the same.

One more point for the lee- half the price of the RCBS.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Rockchucker is good for rifle resizing but think also in terms of a multiple stage press for pistol. Single stage presses are too slow unless you have a row of them.
    Having a Lee powder measure in one hole of a turret press speeds things up.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Lee Classic Turret, great for a beginner. Speeds things up, easy to set up, great for multiple calibers (easy to change out turrets) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

LOVE my setup!
  • Options
    CAPPERCAPPER Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Lee Classic Turret
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=498276

[:D][:D][:D][;)]

Great referral! [:)] [;)] [:D]