In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Automatic Press

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
Do you guys use automatic presses? I am looking at a Hornady AP. Lee Pro 1000, Dillon 550 B, or the expensive RCBS 2000.

My goal is to feed 45 ACP and mainly 223 (plinking). Right now I am at 40 rounds/hour and I would like to increase my productivity. It would need to be used for all calibers (for my rifles with enough accuracy for hunting) as well (and i know that I would need to the purchase of some accessories for each individual press to make this happen).

I know the LEE Pro 1000 is 223 and pistol rounds, but cannot do any other rifle rounds.

The Hornady Lock-&-Load AP, dillon 550B, and RCBS 2000 can do rifle rounds.

Posting to see what everyone uses and what reviews that they can give on each.

Thanks a million guys!!!

-Joe

Comments

• Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded 1000's of rounds on a Dillon and think it is great. It works especially well for pistol where little brass prep is needed. It will work for rifle as longe as you do all your brass prep on a different press. I would size and deprime on my RCBS Rockchucker, then clean the primer pocket, trim and chamfer the case mouth then run it through the Dillon to prime, throw the powder and seat the bullet. If using a large grain extruded powder I would check every fifth round for correct powder charge. Smaller grain powders I'd check every ten.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Dillon is the way to go. The warranty is the best, lifetime, no questions asked [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    awesome thank you!

Anyone else have any reviews or pros/cons on what they use for an automatic press for volume reloading?

Thanks!

-JD
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one Dillon and 2 lee 100's. The lee is a lot less expensive, and a lot more likely to mash primers, skip stations, and otherwise frustrate you. The higher end units are much easier on the wallet and temper in the long run. On the other hand, Lee dies or single stage presses like the Challenger (I use 2) seem to me work just as well as the more expensive RCBS, Lyman or Hornady die sets I have.

I'll say the same thing about progressive reloaders that I do about almost everything else; if you buy strictly because of the low sticker price, you're going to get pissed and quit.. be it a ratchet wrench and socket set, bicycle, skateboard, boat, or yes, a reloading press.

Good luck and shoot safe!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Been loading 45ACP for 40 years on a older out of production STAR progressive press most of those years between 5000 and 7500 per year. broke one decapping pin from a 380 case inside a 45 ACP hull. if you can find a star press they are bullet proof. I used to buy from retiring shooters and resell +mentor in setting up and running them to new Bulls-Eye shooters. let me know if you want to try one. There are a number of web sites just for this machine.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a Dillon 550 a few years back and have been very happy with it. Once I got it set up and was comfortable using it I was able to crank out 100 rounds of 40 S&W in 9 minutes 4 seconds, and I wasn't rushing. They also have a great warranty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wow, Dillon seems to be the winner!

I don't want a bullet feeder or a case feeder just yet. I want the auto primer and the powder charger. I obviously have dies. Do those come standard, the auto primer and the powder charger in those dillon products? If I were to purchase it right now, what would I need to purchase it to feed out 400+/hr?

Thanks!

-JD
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    blue (dillon). the 550 will load anything from .25 acp to .458 lott. works well with rifle cases if you don't care aboth cleaning pimer pockets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what about lubing the cases? Do you lube the cases? then it gets primed, charged, and bullet seated. Where does the lube go?

Just my thinking in the process.

Do I lube the exterior only?

So my case prep is trim then chamfer then lube and send it through the press? Then in seconds I have a ready to be fired round?

Thanks a lot, I have a single stage and want more productivity!

-JD
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uni82
    wow, Dillon seems to be the winner!

I don't want a bullet feeder or a case feeder just yet. I want the auto primer and the powder charger. I obviously have dies. Do those come standard, the auto primer and the powder charger in those dillon products? If I were to purchase it right now, what would I need to purchase it to feed out 400+/hr?

Thanks!

-JD

I did that 100 rounds feeding the cases and bullets by hand.
    I was able to do this after I'd loaded about three thousand rounds.
    Do NOT try for speed. Make sure everything is running right and metering accurately. Getting in a hurry reloading can really mess up your day.[;)]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    While I think Dillon is a fine machine and have loaded a lot on a buddy's unit (650 in his case) I think that it is overpriced and overhyped. I would also say that Lee progressive reloaders are irritating and finicky, but I'd look really hard at the Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS offerings if I were in the market. I won't say a bad thing about the Dillons performance, just that I don't think the performance equals the value for the money spent, ergo I don't own one. Guess it's a question of 'Cadilac or Ford man'.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This gets talked about a lot. I use the Hornady Progressive and like it a lot.

I've re-loaded many 40SW, 9mm, 223, 22-250 and even a few 308. I plan on running about 400 rounds of 204 Ruger here this month.

Definitely would buy again. Can do 1000 pistol easily in a night.

The rifle, if once fired brass, I re-size on single stage, trim to length, clean primer pocket and remove crimp. Then to progressive. If already ran through my "system", then strait to progressive. Yes, they need sizer lube for rifles.

Any ball powder works great, so do any short cut extruded. I've used XMR2015 and XBR2808.

What I like is I can change the set up so quick, I did some test loads with a 308. I prepped the brass, primed on progressive press, only thing I did. All other dies, powder measures removed. Loaded powder with RCBS powder dispenser and seated on progressive after putting seater back on. Same bullet, 2 different powders in steps. Easy!
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded on a 550. Hated it. I want/need 5 stations and auto-indexing.
    I would not even consider the Lee Pro 1000. Again, 5 stations minimum and 3 stations doesn't make it.
    I have been using Hornady APs since the first model and love them. Excellent, in my experience.
    I have never seen the RCBS, but a lot of it appear to be from the Hornady.
    I did not like loading on a 650 without the case feeder. You either have to drop a case into the press case=feeder with your right hand (a real pain having to remove your hand from the handle, pick up a case, and reach over and drop it into the right read station) or you stand up and fill up a case tube with about 25 cases and load until you have to get up and load another 25 cases.
    If you look at the 650, get a case feeder.
    If you get the Hornady, don't even think about the case feeder. I have seen it working just fine, but it is new and is an add-on that the press was not designed for originally. The Hornady is VERY ergonomic compared to the Dillons.
    I don't like it, but I think I would be "happier" with the DB than the 550.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We loaded for the department pistol team on an old Star, it was a great press, but finally wore out the priming ram and it would have cost more to rebuild than to buy a new Dillon 550 so that's what we did. I still have the Dillon more than 15 years on it and going strong. Anything that does go wrong their customer service is right there and they get you what you need right away. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I do agree that it is better to do rifle case prep on the Rockchucker.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Through the length of this forum, looks like the dillon is the way to go. A solid second would the be hornady lock-and-load AP system. It is a little bit cheaper, but can I justify it? I just acquired a kimber (still on the way but wont be too long) so I will be reloading A LOT of 45 acp. there is a IDPA league starting on Saturday. So I need to do a lot of reloading

I can do case prep on a different press, I have a RCBS rockchucker right now anyway.

Sounds good, I think I will make my final decision very shortly on which of they two. I have a lot of hornady stuff and I really enjoy their products. They have great customer service (with my experiance).

Thank you all, if you have more comments, please post!!!

-JD
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon all the way--expensive yes , but in this case you get what you pay for and more.
    I use the 650, fantastic unit.
    Brian Enos , a pro shooter, has a website it might be a good idea to check it out