In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hardball bullets .45

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Shooting a .45 "hardball" match next month and just looked at ammo prices (haven't purchased new for years). After the shock I decided to load my own, but can't locate any "reasonable priced" .451 dia. 230gr. FMJ bullets (yes I looked on GB). I would need about 1K minimum.
Not looking for anything special, just a decent bullet.

Who is the best deal for this type?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    geeguy,

You need to contact member 'perry shooter':

http://forums.gunbroker.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=11023

He is our resident hard ball shooter.

Best.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello be aware DCM/CMP matches may NOT ALLOW PLATED bullets . I think they state JACKETED 230 Grain . Of course they might not CATCH it. also be aware unless you have a BARSTO barrel the .451 may not shoot good groups. .452 is MUCH better. SIERRA makes the best 230 grain. Nosler makes a 230 but cone shaped and not legal. Where do you live I have a bunch of Match Ball ammo but shipping ammo is not something I normally do. If you live near me Face to Face I can sell you some. You really. need to ransom rest your pistol. Good ammo that shoots 2.5 inches at 50 yards the same gun with off the shelve ammo might shoot 10 inch groups. When is your match . Check with Champions Choice. 1-800-345-7179. www.champchoice.com ask for Homer or Champions shooters supply.I sold 20 boxes of older military match to a friend to shoot at Camp Perry this year and he made presidents 100 and won the 2 man team match with this match ball. .
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    What about GB auctions, 245183901, 245296233, 245521509, 245632758, all are .451 FMJ [:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl, gun is fine (Clark)and can hold very close on the ransom, just me that can't see or shoot. I'm just shooting this as a "number" so we have as many as possible. Normally shoot M9, but gave that to a women shooter for this match, so back to the .45. I have plated bullets but they are not legal, also have some Federal Gold Medal ammo but won't waste them on me.

I can load a pretty accurate round with the .451 (have done it in the past). Just didn't feel like spending $20+ per box vs. loading them for 20 cents each. Not a question of buying good loaded ammo, just a question of getting the bullets for me to load as a cost savings since my score will not be a factor in the match.
    Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks DC, I searched by .45 instead of 45. Found the one's you listed and they are just right for me.

Guess I didn't look hard enough before crying about it.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    geeguy, go ahead and shoot the Gold Medal Match. You might as well use them up yourself, you can't take them with you and you ain't getting any younger. [:D]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello GEE GUY. I will make you A deal I will give you 2 boxes of Military match Ball the next time you go to Camp Perry when you go to shoot the NIT match and President 100 Match . Do you have any way of testing the loads in your pistol at 50 yards. I wish some of you guys Lived near me I have on of my Star reloaders set up just for Ball and ransom rest to test in your pistol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the offer Karl, but I do actually have some "good" ammo (Federal Gold Match)and several good guns in .45 and a very good (worked with a KKM barrel with my trigger job)M9. My problem is not the gun and ammo, just that I shoot so bad I hate to burn such expensive stuff (read as I am cheap). I do have access to a Ransom rest and will be trying some .45 with Unique 6.1-6.3 grain loads which I estimate should be between 820FPS-853FPS at under 15KPSI.

Most of the time I'm a pretty fair reloader, so I trust your input which was very close to what I was told by a club member that is also a great Hardball shooter (fast not slow for 50 yd). Even if I am bad as a Bullseye shooter I like to have a good gun and ammo, as I can handle the Jerk behind the trigger.

As always thanks for the good input and the offer. Hope to be at Perry next year, since for me it's just 2 hours away. I'll look for your BMW.