In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bulls-eye Targets shot at 25 yards timed fire.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Below are pictures of targets I shot last night at my home range. It is VERY helpful to know what you are doing wrong when trying to improve your shooting. These are not "wimp" loads. They are rather snappy loads shooting for absolute accuracy at 50 yards, ignoring recoil as a load factor. The load is 4.4 grains of N-310 pushing a Lee 200 grain cast SWC Bevel base, ALox-bees wax lube, RP cases, CCI LP primers the MV is 900ish.

I shot 20 rounds at each of these targets at 25 yards, using an MP-3 recording of the firing commands exactly as you would hear in a pistol match.

On the first picture, below, you can see exactly what happens when you use too little trigger finger when shooting a handgun. The finger hinges just like any other joint, when using too little trigger finger the taper of the finger from mid-point to tip applies pressure to the SIDE of the trigger rather than in line with the gun bore. As you apply pressure the result is pushing the gun to the left where the group is centered. Brian Zins, the multi-time national Bulls-eye Pistol National Champion, has some pictures available showing his finger well past the pad on the trigger. Once you try it for a while it really works to improve scores...........
100_2576.jpg

In the second picture, you can clearly see the three shots to the left, one an 8, where I made the gun fire, pushing the side of the trigger, rather than applying pressure until the gun fired, it is one of those "the jerk jerking the trigger" things. It has taken YEARS to get to the point where I FINALLY stopped making the gun fire in timed and rapid fire. The 10 and X ring got hit when I did my job. The nine at the upper right was me pushing the gun with my hand, I felt myself doing it as it happened, I was very fortunate it was a nine and not a six.

100_2577.jpg

In this final photo it is showing my shooting fatigue, the group is more open with the low shots coming from a limp wrist, relaxing my hand as the gun fired, causing the low shot group at six O'clock. I was holding too long, too much aiming and too little trigger control.
100_2578.jpg

I would like to take a moment to thank Perry Shooter for his patient guidance in getting past my errors in timed and rapid fire. My slow fire scores have been master class for thirty years. My timed and rapid fire scores were a consistent embarrassment, looking like a blind man was shooting them with both eyes closed!!!

Karl, with his words of wisdom helped me overcome my errors, now shooting scores that are at least decent. The change came on like a light switch, it was remembering Karl's words of wisdom as I prepared to shoot keeping trigger control centered on my mind, letting the gun come back from recoil, center on the black and ALLOWING it to fire again.

THANKS KARL, you skinny old coot! [:D][:D]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bruce It is good to see a fast learner. I have been trying to coach my wife on a number of things for 39 YEARS but she will just not listen. [;)][}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have more patience Karl, she will eventually get with the program. [:D][:D]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tips. Our club is having a NRA Bullseye match saturday. Mostly a bunch of old half blind guys trying to shoot 1 handed and not put rounds on the wrong target. We do have good BBQ though.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Thanks for the tips. Our club is having a NRA Bullseye match saturday. Mostly a bunch of old half blind guys trying to shoot 1 handed and not put rounds on the wrong target. We do have good BBQ though.
    W.D.

My eyes are fading FAST too that is why my Wad-Cutter guns have Red Dot scopes. When shooting irons I just concentrate on the front sight, keeping it on the 6:00 of the blurry target and centered in the blurry rear sight. Unless one of those phantom eye-ball fuzzies go floating by during a string the scores are just as good. The red Dots give more confidence for sure, Karl truly has been a great help!

Enjoy your BBQ it sounds like a lot of fun for sure!
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Great input Bruce. Tried moving my finger in to the joint and appears (only tried in dry fire so far)to have helped greatly.

Great thing about this forum, you learn something every day. Now if I could just remember it when the gun goes bang!