In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Small Rifle and Small Pistol primer questions.

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
Small Rifle and Small Pistol Magnum Primers have the same size dimensions....

Questions:

If you are long on Small Pistol Mag primers and short on Small Rifle primers could you use the Small Pistol Mag primers to reload .223 Rem cases?

Does anyone have any idea what the relative primer power is between the two primers?

I have plenty of both and am asking the question out of curiosity.

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It's more a question of primer cup thickness. The rifle primers are tougher. You might pierce a primer if you use a pistol primer, though with reduced loads it's fine.

FWIW I made the mistake of using LP primers instead of LR primers recently and loaded and fired some top end 30-06 loads. Heavy dent with flowing in the primer, 1 rupture, but no pierced ones.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Listen to the man Arby, he know of which he speaks.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +! Jonk except LR and LP are reversed. I had lots of SR and shot them up in a Model 60 S&W. Had to install a washer to shim the coil hammer spring to get 100% ignition. As a kid my dad had around 10k of mistery large primers. We ran them through a 45 ACP 1911. Way safer to put rifle primers into handguns but be mindfull pressures can go up due to the larger flash. One of the older gun digest had lengthly study on all aspects of primers.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not use small pistol primers in a .223.
    Remington doesn't even advise their lesser No 6 1/2 small rifle for .223; the 7 1/2 is made for the hotter rounds from .222 on.

I have shot small rifle standard primers in 9mm with no misfires and no great increase in velocity; presumably not much in pressure, either. Federal used to recommend their small rifle primers for .357 magnum before they offered a magnum pistol primer.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In rare circumstances, it is permissible and even desirable to swap rifle and pistol primers. But those occasions are VERY specific.

As a general rule, swapping primer types is a lot like using salt in place of sugar. They look alike, but the results aren't usually good.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.