In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

caliber for cast bullets?

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;

wish to start shooting cast bullets again.

have several 30/06, 308win. & 30/30. will only load for one caliber, can't keep track of everything if i load for all. 30/06 and 308win. are bolt action rifles. 30/30 are marlins.

hope to use only 2400 powder. do have a good supply of green dot and a small amount of red dot.

which one do you all suggest i load for. have the lee 190gr mold, rcbs 180gr. fn mold and the lee 180gr. rn mold. all are gas check designs.

accuracy not speed is my goal.

thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Power wise I'd vote 30-30 but if it's micro-groved, I don't they do well with lead. For the other 2 I'd load for the one I like to shoot. The small difference in powder consumption and bullet weight will not add up to much. I think that you should be open to a wider selection of propelents if you are seeking accuracy. Choice of sizing diameter/lube/alloy is also a factor. Some rifles seem to just shoot better than others.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, you have a tall order to fill.

I would load for the 06 AND the 308. Size the bullets .001 larger than the bore slugs, use a good lube, like beeswax and Alox.

I have had very good luck with N-133 and the 30-06 and 8MM Mauser at about 2,000 FPS.

You should find one power that will produce consistent round groups at 100 yards. The only way to find it is to start loading and shooting. Do you have the LYMAN CAST BULLET HANDBOOK? (EDIT for correct book name, thanks JONK!)

This is a very good site for shooting cast bullets.
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I think bpost means the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

Try a start load with 16 gr of 2400 in the 308 or 06 and work up to about 23 gr max. Should group somewhere in that range. Or 11-13 gr of Red Dot.

My favorite powder is SR 4759 for broad range cast lead applications in rifle, but the 2400 is a close second.
  • ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 18.5 GR. 2400 with 170 GR. bullet in my 30-30 nice load[:)]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-30 is perhaps the ideal cartridge (not caliber) to shoot cast bullets. More case capacity than that is a hindrance.

I shoot nothing but cast through my 30-30 (a bolt Savage 340), and have two very good loads for the Lee 170gr FP gas-checked bullet: 7.0 grains of RedDot gives 1200 fps for a great plinking or small-game load. For bigger game, 16.0 of 2400 gives 1900 fps. Both loads would work equally well with 180-190 grain bullets. You can also substitute Green for RedDot with no ill effects.

Marlins will shoot cast bullets just fine, but often have to use a slightly softer bullet alloy and bullets sized to .002" above groove diameter. Even .311" is fine if they chamber freely.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.