In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 230 gr load- perryshooter

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Karl: Loading 230GR FMJ for Hardball. Books list "accuracy load" at 662 FPS. I normally use Clays for .45 200 gr. SWC and book says 3.7 clays gives me 672 FPS with 230gr FMJ. Have several other powders (not Bullseye powder), do you have any recommendations?

Other people welcome to reply.

Thanks

Remember this is hard ball, MUST BE 230gr. FMJ bullet, no exceptions, not HP, not SWC, not plated, and not my choice, blame CMP.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.0 of Unique is my favorite hard-ball load, either FMJ or jacketed HP.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I like Red Dot, about 3.9 grains for the 200 gr SWC.

That would be fine for hardball too, but you could push it up to 5 grains.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Dont believe what you read in a reloading manuals They do not test at 50 yards.My computer keeps timing out at work so bare with me I had writen a long speach about your inquire but juat as I was going to hit send computer timed out . Long story short any thing less then 800-850 fps will not hold a good group at 50 yards. More to come later
    Edit short story long. hardball matches have been run at Camp Perry for over 100 years. first by the D.C.M and later by the CMP at these matches all shooters both military and civilian were issured the same make and lot number of match grade ammo. "made for a level playing field". Then Came Slick Willy [:(!]and all federal funding for C.M.P ammo was cut off[:(!]The military teams had stockpiled match ammo but the civilians were required to buy factory ammo[V]. None of any brand of 45ACP factory ammo would shoot groups even close to the older military match ball. [:(].I shot hardball matches at Camp Perry from 1972-2005 I did fairly well and was my states team Captain for about the last 20 years . I was charged with finding a good recipe for reloading our own Ball. I tested a number of loads in at least 10 different Match Grade Hardball Pistols. I am here to tell you that I never found any load in any pistol that was under 800 FPS that was not improved in group size if you increased the powder charge with ALL other things left the same. If you got to between 800-850 FPS. Yes you can get lighter /slower loads to shoot at 25 yards but not 50 yards. This is requirded distance for slow fire. A good load at 800 FPS may shoot a 10 shot group at 25 yards of 1.00 inch that same load in the same pistol may then shoot a 2&1/2-3 inch group at 50 yards[^] . However a 700 fps load may shoot a 1&1/4 inch group at 25 yards not bad you say But you will find it will bloom to a 6 inch group at 50 yards[V][:(!][:(].WIMP BALL will not shoot at 50 yards. So now you say lets load WIMP BALL for 25 and Real Ball for 50 yards. This thinking also is problematic . If the recoil spring is tuned for the light load then during slow fire with your 50 yard load your pistol will get BEAT UP[:(] while on the other hand if you tune the recoil spring for the Real Ball then you will have gun function problems "not fully ejection" at the Timed and rapid fire stages when you need 100% function. YM will not V . Now to what recipe I found worked. Being Banned from talking about Bulls-Eye powder I must admit my best groups came with V V 310 either 4.3 or 4.4 grains. Other powders that I tested that were good were WW452AA 231. as well as my favorite wadgun powder[}:)][;)] Be aware all loads worked better if the bullet was .452. actual. many brand are smaller even if listed as .452. Barsto barrels seem to be one of the best as they have tighter bores. Good luck on your endeavor. "PAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl: Thanks, the FPS is where I need to start. I have AA231 and Unique, so I can play with those to get 800-850 FPS. I have seen some try the "Springco"method of two loads, but I just need one good all around load. Shooting in a Clark gun which holds very well at 50 yds with Federal Gold match, just don't want to use that ammo right now.

I thought the 662 FPS sounded fishy since others seem to load much hotter. (Came from an old manual)

Again, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 6.2 grains of Unique in Winchester nickel cases.

With FMJ, I get 890 fps, excellent accuracy. With JHP, I get 900 fps, also excellent accuracy.

I like to fire loads which simulate my self defense rounds as far as recoil and power. Also I like to simulate the military rounds...so 230 grain, fmj rounds at over 850 fps.

Good luck!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will chrono the loads I shoot tomorrow for you so you can have some idea of the differences.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had good results with 5.2 grains of 700-X, CCI large pistol primer and Federal cases when I was shooting PPC in CA. This went thru my chrono at about 835 average. In PPC we shot from 7 to 50 yards, just had to remember the number of clicks on the Eliason to stay in the bottle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Navybat and 62. I just loaded some 6.1-6.3 Unique and will be testing in the next few days. Was trying to figure FPS at 6.2 grains (I don't own test equipment for that)and figured about 835FPS, so I am quite low from your numbers and may be able to adjust down a bit on the powder since Perryshooter says about 800-850FPS. I looked at 700X (since I use that a lot for shotgun)but the pressures were a little higher than Unique, so I'll use Unique for this batch.

For me just hitting the target anywhere is a good day, but I still like to shoot with a good gun and ammo.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember to compare apples to apples. I'm firing my ammo in a 5" Desert Eagle Government 1911. What is your barrel length?

I'm using Winchester Nickel Brass and CCI large pistol primers with my Unique.

I've read that powder densities can vary, and if you're not measuring by weight you could be off. (Say you're using a volumetric measure such as a dipper). I measure 6.2 grains by weight so I'm consistent.

Also, as I mentioned, I get different velocities with same charges depending on if I'm firing FMJ or JHP.

Bpost, did you get a chance to chrono your loads?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Navybat - I load by weight (each round is exact weight, not dropped). Not new to reloading match ammo, just new to loading 230FMJ. This is a 5" match barrel, WCC brass '82, winchester primer. Tried the 6.0 grains like Bpost is using, seems to cycle the gun well and group at 25 yards, will try 50 yards in the near future.

Thanks to all that have helped, I'll try to at least hit the target.