In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 ACP brass large and small primer pockets

ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
So I'm gonna start loading 45 ACP.
Why are there 2 primer pocket sizes?
Will load data for one work for the other?
Anyone have a preference, large or small?
Thanks,
Gary

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the small ones are Non Toxic (NT) marked. I don't load or shoot them. When I buy brass I always get the large pistol size.
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to see the small primer pockets on the NT brands as well.
    I do not think that the primer pocket size will have any effect on the load data, but will defer to the more experienced hand loaders out there.

My preference? I prefer they go back to ALL 45 brass being manufactured with large primer pockets. It's a pain in the donkey having two kinds to watch for. All the small pocket brass I sort out goes to the scrap yard.
    [xx(]
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In several of my manuals, it states that changing primers can change load data.

So in my opinion, if you have small AND large primers, definitely load data should be checked. I recommend going with one OR the other.

Since most .45 is large primer, I suggest you go with that. There is no difference in price between large and small primers, so go with what is most universal.

That being said, if you have small primer brass and want to use it, I suggest you do a side by side comparison of the loads. You may see a difference, especially on the chronograph. You may also get different pressures...but I'm no expert. It's just what I've read.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you have a progressive reloading press you will curse every small primer case ever made. Sort of hard to swage down that large primer to a small pocket. [:(!][:(]

EDIT one big advantage is if you go to a BULLS-EYE pistol match no one will try to snag your brass. I used to save about a dozen or so in my pistol box and if anyone tried to pick up my empties I salted the range[}:)]. If they shot beside me again they never tried picking up any loose brass. I now use a net type brass catcher problem solved. [^][:)]
  • Options
    ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I have a boatload of small pistol primers and no large, I ordered brass with small primer pockets.
    At least they'll all be the same.

If anyone has a bunch of small primer pocket brass, I'd be willing to take them off your hands.[:p]
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sincerely doubt that any change in load pressure between large and small primers with the same charge of powder is likely to lead to issues, esp. if your gun was made any time in the last 50 years and is in otherwise good working order.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The four loads I chronographed gave 25-40 fps lower velocity with standard small pistol primers in NT brass than large pistol primers in regulation .45 ACP brass. If that matters, the velocity could be regained with a small pistol Magnum primer or a slightly heavier powder charge... none of them were at the maximum.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found out about small primer .45 ACP brass the hard way...inadvertently picked some up along with mine at the range, and didn't notice until the priming stage of my progressive press...very annoying. Had to go back through a bunch of brass to separate them. Later, bought about 1500 cases from a fellow at the range, and found about 100 smalls in that lot.