In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Some days are too much fun...shooting a mile

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
Back in the beginning of August I got the chance to shoot with some fellow shooters out in my home State of Nevada.

I sure do miss the wide open spaces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnyljKPVgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9yVeehoRI

...and there is no question here... I was having a lot of fun!

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's some still shots of the event:

Scotty spotting for Charlie
    DSC_0473.jpg

Splash just to the right of the target. Note the mine tailings in the draw. At the head end of the draw you see white patches?....Bat guano mine there[xx(] Not really, it's good fertilizer.
    DSC_0475.jpg

Chuck, about the time he knocked the target off the stand. Note the blast around him. I snapped just after he pulled. I didn't get the muzzle blast, but you can see how much air that thing displaces.
    DSC_0482.jpg
    Yours truly. Yes, we had to throw Scotty's tactical vest on top of his ruck to accomodate my 'spare tire'[:0]...hehe[:D]
    DSC_0485.jpg
    Matt before recoil...(this thing is heavy...I could hardly shoot it offhand myself)
    DSC_0497.jpg
    Matt after recoil... He is actually coming back down. I was a little slow on the trigger[;)][:D]
    DSC_0498.jpg
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Did you hit the target?
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like fun, nice shooting. Talk about wide open places.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, we gotta get a fieldtrip out there.[;)]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great video...really nice...thx
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior - thanks for sharing all of that with us, appreciated.

Where abouts were you all?

Definitely looks like Nevada ... I sure miss the shooting and the hunting in Nevada.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About 10 miles or so East of Pyramid lake. That worked pretty good for us as a couple of the guys were from Reno/Sparks and the other two were from Carson/Washoe Valley, and I was in Fallon. We met at Fernley and progressed into the desert from there. You don't need a 4WD, but a truck was definitely adviseable. To get to the one-mile target 4WD was a must.

Jonk,

That was hurtful[:(][:(][:(]...You didn't watch the video. Because it showed I did hit the one mile target. Actually, I got two 'called' hits, but due to who is talking/shooting that can confuse things. We also had a mystery hit (we think it was a .50) on the target hangar

I had to say my thinking was skewed and I really didn't use the best optic I had for this. I used a NF NXS 12-42x56. The problem is that all NF 12-42x's only have 45 MOA of travel. They are basically 1k bench/precision scopes.
    Even with a 20 MOA base that's 34 MOA of 'up' and 11 MOA of 'down'. I keep a 300 yd. zero on mine so there was only 29.5 MOA more of 'up'. I ended up holding 22 MOA above a bush on the ridge above the target. The bush in question is above the road-cut, above the two on the facing ridge, on the left side where the ridge angles right, almost where it drops off into the ravine on the left. With the quality of glass I could have done much better with my USO ST-10 and the MOA reticle. I could have dialed 70 MOA and held the little bit extra. As it was, the holding over the 'hold-over' was pretty tricky.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first hit on the target cam was right in the teeth!!!!!
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought I recognized the general area. My parents in law lived out in Empire until they shut the town down in June. I have spent a lot of time out in the surrounding area.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Sorry about that. You're right, I didn't watch it- I commented at work. My boss is a gun owner himself and if I'm not busy doesn't mind if I use the internet for fun surfing, but IT blocks any videos.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    I thought I recognized the general area. My parents in law lived out in Empire until they shut the town down in June. I have spent a lot of time out in the surrounding area.

Pretty weird seeing a "company town" as late as this year, eh? A friend of mine knew Bruno. Talked to him the year he shot the great big buck that hangs in the bar. One of those classic walk out of camp 50 yds. ....and there stands the deer of your life! It'll be interesting to see what happens with Gerlach now that the gypsum plant is closing. Maybe gold and silver will keep it going. I heard they are looking into firing up a couple of those again. It's a long stretch to think they could keep the town going on the 'Burning Man' celebrations.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    About 10 miles or so East of Pyramid lake. That worked pretty good for us as a couple of the guys were from Reno/Sparks and the other two were from Carson/Washoe Valley, and I was in Fallon. We met at Fernley and progressed into the desert from there. You don't need a 4WD, but a truck was definitely adviseable. To get to the one-mile target 4WD was a must.

Sandwarrior - thanks for the locale.

I had two guesstimates:
    1) the area you state, or
    2) the second guess would have been another area way out to Austin and to the East a smidge.

Both areas have a ridge running similar to that one and a bar of the dark grey running thru. Have shot some distance at both, but not the distances you folks were *!

(( Only time that I have seen folks at the second area is during deer season ... too far out except for folks right there in Austin. ))

Thanks again for sharing with that posting. Very good!!! [^]
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, Empire being a company town has always reminded me of the logging towns in eastern Oregon. I was through there last Sunday coming home and it sure is weird. The store on the edge of Empire is still open. A gal my Wife went to school with and her husband own it. I have known Bruno a long time and his grandson is my SIL's boyfriend.

The burners were already showing up. They seen to seep in earlier every year. Well the Black Rock shouldn't be so crowded from now on! Use to be you could spend a couple of weeks running the hills and never see anyone else.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    Yes, Empire being a company town has always reminded me of the logging towns in eastern Oregon. I was through there last Sunday coming home and it sure is weird. The store on the edge of Empire is still open. A gal my Wife went to school with and her husband own it. I have known Bruno a long time and his grandson is my SIL's boyfriend.

The burners were already showing up. They seen to seep in earlier every year. Well the Black Rock shouldn't be so crowded from now on! Use to be you could spend a couple of weeks running the hills and never see anyone else.

It's kind of a shame the Black Rock doesn't still carry the penalty for being stupid as it did 130-160 years ago, eh? The 'burners' all come there and have a great time. Just some of them are extremely lucky there aren't more desperados around as they get looped out of their gourds and dance around the big fire.

-take care
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

As my grandfather used to say:

That is a fer piece!

Good shooting. I like to watch the surveyor's tape on the closeup of the steel target during each shot. The wind does some squirrelly things between the muzzle and the steel. The split screen is terrific in this situation. Great idea!

The desert is always my favorite place for testing cartridges and loads for long range targets. I prefer the early morning but I'll take what I can get at the time I need it. Mirage during the rest of the day can be miserable. The cooler times of December and January are choice if it can be arranged.

Best.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I miss the High Desert...but am not willing to make the drive.

Buddy out in Eastern Washington has the Longest Range I can get to.

Great Shooting, Men! And Video, Too!

When I grow up, I wanna Be Like You!
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like it. Black Rock on the playa!